Downloads folder not opening the way it used to, in Dock

I used to have my Download Folder in my Dock show up as a vertical string of icons/lists with the latest at the bottom, when I clicked on the Folder. I recently had to drag the Downloads Folder back into the Dock after it had disappeared from there. After doing that, I now notice that when I click on the Downloads icon in the Dock, it now shows up as a page full of icons and behaves like a drop down menu, in the dock and I have to select "view in Finder". I prefer the original, when it opened in a Finder window. How can I change it back?

Hope someone can help on this one. Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on May 14, 2024 12:58 PM

9 replies

May 14, 2024 4:04 PM in response to earthandsoul

earthandsoul wrote:

I used to have my Download Folder in my Dock show up as a vertical string of icons/lists with the latest at the bottom, when I clicked on the Folder. I recently had to drag the Downloads Folder back into the Dock after it had disappeared from there. After doing that, I now notice that when I click on the Downloads icon in the Dock, it now shows up as a page full of icons and behaves like a drop down menu, in the dock and I have to select "view in Finder". I prefer the original, when it opened in a Finder window. How can I change it back?
Hope someone can help on this one. Thanks

Hold the Control key and click it open...

make changes to suit your needs

May 15, 2024 8:47 AM in response to earthandsoul

earthandsoul wrote:

Ok. The options are "fan, grid, list, or automatic". It doesn't allow me to view the folder in Finder, unless I select that option ("open in Finder"). I used to do it automatically. It's just a folder with an arrow pointing down.

If that is your issue...

hold the Option Command keys down and click the folder in the Dock. That is the way it is intended to work.

Downloads folder not opening the way it used to, in Dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.