eARC not working after Apple TV 17.5 update

eARC is not working after Apple 17.5 update. Settings on both the Samsung TV and Apple TV 3rd Gen 4K are correct. Both devices have been restarted and the HDMI cable disconnected and reconnected. Is anyone else having this issue? The same issue occurred after an earlier Apple TV update, which I believe was 17.1 Any help would be appreciated.

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on May 14, 2024 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2024 7:59 AM

We have exactly the same problem with a Samsung TV. I do not understand how APPLE can release such updates that do not have software debugged.

I don't understand what made me switch to 17.5...

APPLE should sort things out with the employees responsible for this shoddy work. I have invested thousands of euros in APPLE products, but they are just overpriced things that have not been reliable for years and are certainly not at the cutting edge of technological development. There isn't a year when there aren't problems with something. I think I will end up with APPLE soon and switch to another brand.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2024 7:59 AM in response to pearmund

We have exactly the same problem with a Samsung TV. I do not understand how APPLE can release such updates that do not have software debugged.

I don't understand what made me switch to 17.5...

APPLE should sort things out with the employees responsible for this shoddy work. I have invested thousands of euros in APPLE products, but they are just overpriced things that have not been reliable for years and are certainly not at the cutting edge of technological development. There isn't a year when there aren't problems with something. I think I will end up with APPLE soon and switch to another brand.

May 15, 2024 7:06 AM in response to pearmund

The MU7000 is said to support ARC but not eARC.

That shouldn’t matter for the ARC/eARC functionality through Apple TV 4K (2nd generation or later), though. The Apple TV box would try to support either one, the ‘highest’ that is supported by the TV.

May 16, 2024 9:30 AM in response to pearmund

Same thing as happening to me as well. I have a Sony A80J OLED tv along with third generation 4K, Apple TV and second generation HomePods. I’ve had this set up for over a year now and it’s always worked. One day after updating the 17.5 is when the Earc stopped working audio still plays through the air HomePod while watching Apple TV but will not work on my other devices. This is definitely a software issue regarding 17.5.

May 15, 2024 2:17 AM in response to pearmund

eARC is not working after Apple 17.5 update.

What aspect is not working?

Do you use HomePod speakers [1]? If not, then the Apple TV box and its version system software doesn’t matter for eARC functionality.

eARC is for the connection between the TV and the audio system. What is your model Samsung TV and the introduction year for that model? What is the brand and model of your audio system?

May 15, 2024 10:59 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks, but unfortunately the problem has got worse. I reset the TV, the Apple TV, HomePods, made sure all devices were up to date and now the TV doesn’t recognise the Apple TV as an audio device (although I can switch to Apple TV to watch content) and when the Apple TV is plugged in, the TV audio is set to 0 and the TV audio controls are displayed on the TV screen and won’t go away - and it becomes impossible to turn the volume up. With the Apple TV disconnected, the TV audio works. Is this a compatibility issue?

May 18, 2024 2:17 PM in response to pearmund

I just tested my Apple TV on a 2023 Sony XR TV with eARC, and the audio works / passes through to the HomePods. So the issue seems to be related to certain TVs, or possibly older TVs with ARC rather than eARC. To validate that, it would be good to know whether anyone with an eARC TV is experiencing problems. Hopefully Apple will come up with a fix soon, as the is definitely related to the 17.5 update.

eARC not working after Apple TV 17.5 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.