Simplifying a Library??

I've got a Library that has at least half-a-dozen related 'large' projects. Working in this Library is slow and tedious -- backups take forever.

I have one completed film/Project. I want to isolate this Project ... move it to its own Library, so I can work faster. BUT, I don't want to double up the media for the Project. My drives are already bursting at the seams.

It seems like I can't move the Project to a new Library and still have it linked to the Original Media. At least as far as I understand. Having said that, all my media is not contained in the original Library, it's on an external RAID setup.

Any suggestions?

Ben

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on May 14, 2024 1:53 PM

24 replies

May 15, 2024 12:21 PM in response to Ben Low

I don't know why it wasn't working before.

I think it's because you didn't follow steps 1 to 3 that I showed you. Ben created a new event in the original library and copied the project, right? This is a step you don't have to do. I simply instructed them to "select an event."

Ben then created a new library. →Maybe you manually dragged and copied the event you created earlier? I simply instructed the selected event to "right-click and copy to new library." I think Ben failed because he didn't understand the steps correctly and worked his own way.

clicking 'copy original media

Do you mean the red frame? Does Ben misunderstand this check as "copying original media"?

It doesn't mean copying. This item means "Do you want to inherit the storage location information of the original media?"

I wonder if the reason the links weren't working before was because I had the two Libraries (old and new) still open in FCPX?

It doesn't matter what library you have open. If Ben had understood and followed the steps correctly, there should have been no problems.

May 15, 2024 1:13 PM in response to LocaAlicia

"I think it's because you didn't follow steps 1 to 3 that I showed you. Ben created a new event in the original library and copied the project, right? This is a step you don't have to do. I simply instructed them to "select an event."

"Ben then created a new library. →Maybe you manually dragged and copied the event you created earlier? I simply instructed the selected event to "right-click and copy to new library." I think Ben failed because he didn't understand the steps correctly and worked his own way."

LocoAlicia - Not exactly. I had to create a NEW Event because I only wanted half a dozen small projects (from an Event that contained scores of projects organized with Keyword Collection). I didn't want to create a NEW Library with all those Projects, I wanted to downsize the number of Projects I had to handle in the NEW Library.

"Do you mean the red frame? Does Ben misunderstand this check as "copying original media"?

It doesn't mean copying. This item means "Do you want to inherit the storage location information of the original media?"

LocoAicia -- your explanation and phrase "Do you want to inherit the storage location information of the original media?" is soooooo much clearer than Apple's. Which is unclear, unless one has done this before, and memorized the distinction.

Thank you for that ... Ben

May 14, 2024 6:34 PM in response to Ben Low

It seems like I can't move the Project to a new Library and still have it linked to the Original Media.

How did you move the project? Did you drag it manually?

1. Usually select an event.
  2. Right click → Copy the event to the library →New library
  3. Specify the save location for the new library → Target: Media + Check original media

it's on an external RAID setup.

Is the location of the original media the same from the beginning and now?

If you move the media midway through, please relink as there is a possibility that the link will break in the new library.

May 15, 2024 7:53 AM in response to Ben Low

Ben Low wrote:

See attached screenshot. Should I click 'Copy Original Media' instead of just the Event? I think you are suggesting that if the Media is on an external drive only the links will be copied, but not the actual Media. It's only if it's contained in the original Library itself will the media itself actually be copied over to the New Library. Have I got that right?

Meaning if I click Copy Original Media ... it'll just be linking the clips in the NEW Events, NEW Library, to the Original Media stored on an external drive?

Copy means copy... and in this case you need to. You will see new real files inside the new library - not symlinks to the old one.

[The following is not trying to confuse things, but in the interest of rigor; you may choose to ignore it for now]

FCP is pretty smart about this, and as long as the two libraries are in the same drive, it will avoid duplication of used space; you will see a file for each piece of media, stored inside the respective library, but they are "hard linked", meaning that only one of each exists on disk. This makes sense, because all editing in FCP is nondestructive: FCP never alters the media files themselves.

Copy an event from Library 1 to Library 2 - WITH media (there is only one file in this example, Solidos.mov)

Media is stored INSIDE the library in BOTH cases. Note that BOTH files are 72 MB (a very short movie, but NOT an alias; also there is no curved arrow in the icon)

So each folder has its own file.

However, due to the magic of "hard links", the data is stored only one on disk.

Running ls -l on the Terminal on each folder, you will see this

That number 2 in

"-rw-r--r--@ 2"

indicates that this content is referenced in two places. The magic of the file system ensures that they are preserved. If one of them is deleted, the reference count is decreased, but the data remains. Only when the last reference goes away is the data on disk actually freed.

May 15, 2024 10:16 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

That's what's weird Luis; the media is NOT in the First Library. It's in an external Media folder (Final Cut Original Media). I very rarely store Media in the Library (rightly or wrongly I find the Library takes longer to load and backup etc.).

If I 'Show Package Contents' of the original Library there is NO 'Original Media' folder ... which is where FCPX is telling me the 'clips' are stored when I try to do a re-link media.

I see Events, Folders, Keyword Collections - each in its own folder (see attached screenshot) and each folder with a single file, 'CurrentVersion.fcpevent' in it.

I have a Media folder that has all the FCPX standard auto-folders in it, such as 'Final Cut Original Media'. It's on the same drive as the Library ... but in a completely different folder structure. I can see all the unlinked files there, though in a various collection of dated folders. It would be a real nightmare to relink all the files.

May 14, 2024 6:48 PM in response to LocaAlicia

LocaAlicia, terrb, and Luis ...

I'm going to do as both LocaAlicia and Luis suggest, and terryb confirms: create an event, then move the event to the new Library. And make sure I don't have any dangling original media in weird places.

Going to do it right now. Will report back when done. Than you most kindly team ... B

May 15, 2024 6:55 AM in response to terryb

Something not working right.

Following Luis' & LocoAlicia suggestions: I create a new Event in the original Library. I copy over a number of Projects to this new Event. I create a NEW Library. I move this new Event into the NEW Library.

I close the Original Library. I open the NEW Library. All the projects are there, but they are un-linked from the Media. When I do a Re-link-Files > Original Media ... the Pop-up box gives me the Folder chain to locate the Original Media. BUTTTTT! In this case the chain goes straight to the Original Library, and to a Folder IN the Original Library called 'Original Media'. Duh?

I do a Show Package Contents on the Original Library, and there is NO 'Original Media' folder.

I know, and can see, that the missing media I want to link to is IN the Final Cut Original Media folder on the external drive. I can link it there, and it works ... but I've lost the Effects/Colour Grade etc. I had installed in that clip.

And as there are 8 Projects I need to work on ... the relinking would be wretched nightmare.

I'm wondering if anyone can see what I might be doing wrong here? Why I'm losing the link to the media?

May 15, 2024 7:09 AM in response to Ben Low

If you copy the projects to a new library the media gets copied with it. If the media is external to the original library it will copy the symlinks from the original library. If the media is inside the original library it will copy the media from one library to the other. This might take some time depending on the number of projects, the amount of material, and where the libraries are located.

Repeat the process to a new library and check the background tasks in the new library. If the tasks are complete, open one of the project and put the playhead over one of the clips and use Shift-F. It should add the clip in the browser if it's not there. Is everything still missing? Where exactly are the libraries and media located?

May 15, 2024 7:19 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am 'copying' (not moving) the Projects into the New Event, then 'copying' that NEW Event to the NEW Library.

Did you see my screenshot Tom?

What I don't want to happen is the 'copying' of the actual Media. I just want the clips in the Projects in the NEW Event, now in the NEW Library, to be still linked to the Original Media. Is it actually possible? I think it is; I just noticed I did this a few weeks ago with another Project ... but I can't for the life of me remember how.

May 15, 2024 7:23 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

See attached screenshot. Should I click 'Copy Original Media' instead of just the Event? I think you are suggesting that if the Media is on an external drive only the links will be copied, but not the actual Media. It's only if it's contained in the original Library itself will the media itself actually be copied over to the New Library. Have I got that right?

Meaning if I click Copy Original Media ... it'll just be linking the clips in the NEW Events, NEW Library, to the Original Media stored on an external drive?

May 15, 2024 7:34 AM in response to Ben Low

Your screenshot shows you chose to NOT copy the media.

This will not work if the media is stored inside the first library, as it seems to be the case (it would work with external media, though; you might only need to relink).

The problem, it seems to me, is that you can't relink media from the second library because it is stored inside the first one.

Simplifying a Library??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.