Errors in blank cells

Hey all, I could use some help. I’m trying to create a worksheet to calculate pricing on jobs. I have the rows all doing what they need to do but all cells with sums of formulas, such as material = (cost*quantity) has a red arrow triangle in it because I’m not using that row.

the issue is, I want the total cost column to tally and be a sum in a different cell so I can calculate markup.

how do I get the cells, without data in them, to not interfere with the sum tally of the row?

thanks

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 14, 2024 9:46 PM

1 reply

May 15, 2024 6:50 AM in response to simplicitydj

Multiplying two blank cells should give you a zero, not an error. Say your cost is in B2 and your quantity in C2 and one or both are blank then B2*C2 will result in zero.

But if by "blank" you mean they have the null string "" in them from a formula, then

=IF(OR(B2="",C2=""),"",B2*C2)

or

=IFERROR(B2*C2,"")

The first will give an error triangle if one of the cells is not numeric, like from a typo. This might be good to know. The second will never give an error triangle. You can put some text between the "" if you want it to say something when B2*C2 is an error.

Errors in blank cells

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.