Apple wallet saying invalid card

i got a new debit card and it works fine at stores, online, and in the Apple ID i can add this card with no issue. When I attempt to add it to Apple Wallet it says invalid check information and try again. I’ve talked with Apple and my bank and has my bank talk with visa and no one can find any issue. I’ve done every trouble shooting anyone can think to have me do and nothing works. There has to be some reason it is saying this. Has anyone has this issue? If so what did you do to fix it? Also my old debit card worked just fine in Apple wallet.

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on May 14, 2024 10:33 PM

27 replies

May 14, 2024 10:36 PM in response to heather200788

You can add your credit, debit or prepaid cards from participating banks and card issuers in these countries and regions:

Wallet App:

Added cards in the Wallet App uses Apple Pay, it's important to note that the ability to add a Debit/Credit Card to Apple Pay is dependent on the country associated with your Apple ID. For instance, if you reside in a country like India where this feature is not supported, you won't be able to add your cards to Apple Wallet. --> Countries and regions that support Apple Pay

Apple Pay is accepted anywhere you see these symbols and marks 

May 15, 2024 11:53 AM in response to heather200788

You want a lesson in Apple Pay and that’s OK with me. I’ll post some links below. But first, lets see if we can solve the issue of adding your card to your Wallet.

Do you think there is an issue with your name etc.?

Are you using a VPN or do you have a VPN installed on your device? If so, you must delete the app and move the profile from the Settings app.

Are Location Services available (enabled) on your device, including your Wallet app?

Have you tried using both WiFi and cellular to add your card?

Please review this article on Apple Pay. It’s not the terms and conditions, that’s how the card is operates, not the provisioning of the card by the bank and payment network operator (Visa, MasterCard etc.).

Card provisioning security overview - Apple Support

Always happy to answer questions.

May 15, 2024 7:13 AM in response to Jeff Donald

I’m not going to say where I bank just for privacy reasons, but I am in the United States and all my regions, time zones, all of that is correct everywhere. My bank supports apple wallet and has for a long time, so there’s no issue there. My old card worked. I wonder if somehow my old card didn’t get deleted out of the system and my old card is associated with my information so when I put the new card info in it’s coming back as not valid. That’s purely a guess. I’ve tried everything. It has to be a problem with the bank though.

May 15, 2024 9:40 AM in response to heather200788

You’re in what is know as the <Check Card> process. The card information has been encrypted sent to the Apple Pay servers. Your CVV number has not been sent yet. CVV security code is part of the verification process and is sent after you agree to the terms and conditions. Since you haven’t received the T&C, your card failed Check Card.

Something is possibly wrong with the name, expiration date, or card number. Be sure you aren’t entering extra digits or spaces or any special characters. Names with accents etc. can be an issue.

Other things to check, are your Apple Accounts. Are you logged into your Apple ID? Do you have multiple Apple ID’s, are you logged into Apple App Store and Apple iTunes Store?

Are you Apple Store accounts in good standing?

Is Location Services enabled for Apple Wallet on your device?

May 15, 2024 11:11 AM in response to Jeff Donald

How do I receive those terms and conditions? That makes sense what you’re saying. I have checked all the other things you listed and they are all correct. Do you know how I fix this issue then?

also, why does it work in the Apple ID part for purchases and stuff but just not the wallet? It also works for online payments at Amazon and things

May 15, 2024 12:15 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Yes I do need a lesson in Apple Pay. I didn’t know how it all worked before I just put my card in and went on with my day lol. But I’ve learned a lot by trying to figure this problem out and I’m always up for more information. I did have a security app on my phone but it has been deleted and there are no VPN connected. I’ve tried both cellular and WiFi. I’ve also tried on other devices like my Apple Watch. Also there’s no issue with my name or address. I have made sure it matches exactly to the bank and my Apple ID. I appreciate your knowledge and help.

May 15, 2024 12:27 PM in response to heather200788

Review your Location Services and please follow this path,

iPhone > Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Service (On) > Location Service (On/green), scroll down to Wallet > please make sure precise location is enabled and While Using the App is enabled.

I’m still looking for the article I need to help with your understanding of Apple Pay. While I do that, please continue troubleshooting your issue. This will lead to solution.

May 16, 2024 6:56 AM in response to heather200788

I think that’s the issue. Apple, issuing bank and the TSP (Token Service Provider) evaluate the risks associated with adding your card. The combination of new card, past fraud alert and probable low activity on new card, have flagged the account as a higher risk. The decision to restrict the card is ultimately the banks. However banks rarely overrule the TSP or Apple guidance.

My advice is give it a little time for the account to age and get some transactions on it. Since you’ve added it to your Apple ID Account it hopefully gets a few transactions on it from Apple.

May 16, 2024 7:03 AM in response to Jeff Donald

I will do that. I don’t want a new card and do this all over again. I asked them about tokens and they had no clue what I was talking about, but I did some reading about that yesterday. They did take my security on the account down to where things could easily be able to go through, I had to watch my account closely for an hour or so while we tried to get the new card on Apple wallet. That didn’t work either so we put the security back on the account. I’ll give it time though. It’s so weird no one seems to know what the issue is or how to fix it. This must not be common?

however my husbands card was compromised a week prior, (we have separate accounts) and his new card added to his wallet with no problem. We have the same bank.

May 16, 2024 8:31 AM in response to heather200788

They know, but can’t say. Banks operate on secrecy when it comes to possible fraud and risk. It’s not all the banks fault. The Bank Secrecy Act, a Federal banking regulation, actually prevents banks from revealing a lot of the inner workings and decision making.

You wanted to learn, so here is good primer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Secrecy_Act

May 16, 2024 8:38 AM in response to Jeff Donald

I think we may have figured it out. The bank was finally able to see my attempts at adding my card, and if your card is denied three times within 24 hours you have to wait 24 hours to try again. I may had tried before my card was active and just kept trying and never let a full 24 hours go by. I’m going to wait 2 days and see if that is the solution. Fingers crossed

May 16, 2024 8:58 AM in response to heather200788

There are actually 4 holds. A 24 hour hold when the CVV2 is attempted 5 or more times. If your bank, or their TSP has it set to 3, that’s lower than required. There is also a 72 hour hold, 7 day hold and 30 day hold. Each one triggered by various levels of risk/fraud, and actions are the part of the card holder/owner.

You’ll notice my advice above to give it little time. This will allow a potential hold or two to fall off.

>>>

Apple wallet saying invalid card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.