Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Why do HDR movies appear dim and desaturated in Apple’s native TV app?

For several years HDR / Dolby Vision movies and TV shows have appeared unnaturally dim and desaturated on iOS, iPadOS and tvOS devices, especially when played directly in Apple’s native TV app.

An easy way to reproduce this problem is

1) Purchase a copy of an HDR movie from Apple that is also available on a popular streaming service like Disney+.

2) Begin playing the film in each app (the Disney+ app and Apple’s TV app) and switch back and forth to compare the brightness and saturation levels on a modern iOS device (e.g. iPhone 14 Pro)

3) A great example of this problem that is immediately obvious is the first scene of National Geographic’s documentary film Free Solo. The opening scene is beautifully shot but the lighting and color are terribly muted in Apple’s TV app compared to viewing it directly in the Disney+ app.

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on May 15, 2024 1:54 AM

18 replies

Jun 5, 2024 8:47 AM in response to clyvestaples

I have the same problem. I love how we spend $1400 on a phone, then pay a monthly subscription, all to find out that the shows I watch on Apple TV are so dark they are basically unwatchable, especially if there is any ambient lighting. For example, I am trying to watch "Invasion" on Apple TV+ and I can't see a **** thing half the time at full brightness. Does anyone at apple even test this stuff? The average person doesn't care about HDR, they just to be able to see the show they are trying to watch on their screen. Apple should be better than this.

Jun 5, 2024 10:31 AM in response to Mdowell12

I was using HDR as a general description to refer to all high dynamic range technologies including HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, Dolby ATMOS, HLG etc.

The average consumer doesn't care which particular technology or specification is being used—they just want a brilliant image that uses the full spectrum of brightness, contrast and color their hardware is capable of displaying.

Apple should ensure that its hardware and software produces the best possible image regardless of the format being played. But at the very least, HDR movies should display as good or better (richer colors and wider spectrums of brightness and contrast) than the standard version of the same film.

Currently this is not the experience for many films purchased and played in the native TV app. Hopefully this is a problem they are working on solving.

May 15, 2024 9:38 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Try comparing it on the same device. I actually used PiP to view them simultaneously, though obviously only one can be playing at a time.

In the attached screenshot you can see the scene from Free Solo I described previously. The TV app is using PiP to play an Apple-purchase version of the film. And the full screen version is the Disney+ app.

I used a separate device to take this photo (since screenshots of video content are disabled)and even with the camera’s attempt to color correct the image, you can still clearly see the difference in lighting and saturation. Specifically, compare the color saturation of his shirt as well as the color / detail / lighting of the trees on the ground below him.

May 15, 2024 11:35 AM in response to Jeff Donald

The simple reality is Apple's TV app often displays HDR content such that it is dramatically dimmer, less saturated and with noticeable loss of detail when compared to even the standard (non HDR) version of the same content.

HDR versions (of varying types and encodings) display properly in all other third-party streaming apps, so clearly this is not a hardware problem, but an issue with the way Apple's TV app is opting to render many HDR videos.

Whatever quibbles one can make about subtle differences between the competing HDR formats currently in existence, this inferior experience is the simple reality faced by millions of consumers who purchase Apple's media content and try to watch it in the native TV app. To be faced with watching a version that is objectively worse than standard dynamic range is unacceptable and contrary to the point of HDR technology to begin with.

Here is another side-by-side example of Skyfall with a clearly desaturated dim opening credit scene in the Apple TV app (PiP window) next to the clearly superior, brighter, full color spectrum HDR version displaying perfectly in the HBO Max app (full screen). Both are supposedly Dolby Vision HDR.

This is a huge discrepancy and it is not the consumer's problem to solve, it is Apple's.

May 15, 2024 6:24 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Yes I have looked at the TV Settings numerous times. And yes this is a reproducible bug over WiFi and Cellular.

This problem is not device specific, as I have reproduced it across multiple devices over a number of years, patiently waiting for someone at Apple to realize this bug exists and fix it. It seems a terrible shame that people spend hundreds or even thousands of $$$ for gorgeous 4K HDR content, only to have Apple’s TV app somehow muck up its rendering at the last mile.

The best way for you to understand this problem is to easily reproduce it for yourself on one of your own devices by following the simple steps I listed above.

May 15, 2024 6:38 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Yes I have looked at the TV Settings numerous times. And yes this is a reproducible bug over WiFi and Cellular.

This problem is not device specific, as I have reproduced it across multiple devices over a number of years, patiently waiting for someone at Apple to realize this bug exists and fix it. It seems a terrible shame that people spend hundreds or even thousands of $$$ for gorgeous 4K HDR content, only to have Apple’s TV app somehow muck up its rendering at the last mile.

The best way for you to understand this problem is to easily reproduce it for yourself on one of your own devices by following the simple steps I listed above.

May 15, 2024 6:42 AM in response to clyvestaples

I tried exactly what you said. I used Disney+ and Apple TV. I only streamed two movies, one looked better on Apple TV, the other I couldn’t really tell a difference. I viewed them on my iPhone 15 PM and iPad Pro 12.9” 5th gen.

I’m just not seeing what you’re seeing. This makes me think it’s possibly your internet provider or servers throttling content. Even another variable is the device used and firmware for decoding the compression.

May 15, 2024 7:11 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Yes I have looked at the settings, and yes I have streaming set to highest quality for both.

It’s honestly not a quality or resolution issue—it’s specifically regarding brightness and color saturation.

I’m a professional graphic designer, so I’m painfully aware when colors and lighting are not being rendered correctly, but in this case I’m certain even an average consumer should be able to immediately recognize the problem.

When you tested the movies, did you turn up the display brightness to maximum? That might help reveal the issue.

If you do as I did and use Free Solo as a test example: In the opening scene played in the TV app, Alex Honnold’s bright red shirt will appear muted and the entire outdoor scene will appear strangely dim. If you switch to the Disney+ app you will see the shirt and scene as the filmmakers obviously intended to render it.

Also, one last thing. Make sure the TV app is playing the purchased film from Apple and not automatically launching you back into the Disney+ app to watch the content there. Sometimes when content is available in both places the TV app defaults to the streaming service unless you ensure you are picking the specific item you purchased from Apple.

May 15, 2024 9:27 AM in response to clyvestaples

Yes, I had display brightness at Max.

iPad Pro 5th gen.

Brightness: 600 cd/m2 max, 1000 cd/m2 max full-screen, 1600 cd/m2 peak (HDR)

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Brightness: 1000 cd/m2 (typical) 1600 cd/m2 (HDR) 2000 cd/m2 (outdoor)

So, the screens in theory are fairly comparable.

I too, work a lot with accurate color. I teach Color Theory and Color Management, calibrate screens and printers etc. I’ve got a pretty good understanding of what I’m looking at. 😀

Has anyone else noted this in reviews on the web? Discussion forums are in many cases contaminated with comments that have an agenda (guerrilla marketing).

Without something more definitive I’m inclined to chalk it up to differences in streaming bit rate, displays, viewing conditions etc.

May 15, 2024 10:31 AM in response to clyvestaples

Dolby Vision is meant to compete with HDR10 and offers some scene by scene advantages. HDR10+ is the industry response to Dolby Vision. If you want to compare this you have to find comparable source material. HDR10 will look different (maybe better, but define better) than HDR. All you’ve succeeded in doing is proving HDR10 is visually more appealing to you than HDR.

It’s not an app issue per se, but rather the content that is being streamed. Find two HDR10 programs and repeat your experiment.

May 15, 2024 10:49 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Can you not see the dramatic loss of detail in the trees and muted colors in the image I shared? Does that look like a high dynamic range video to you?

This problem exists on virtually every HDR / Dolby Vision type video no matter the nuanced encoding of what type of HDR it is.

Another good example is Skyfall on the TV app vs in the HBO Max app. Compare the 'Columbia' opening credits logo before the movie even starts using the PiP method I shared. But honestly you can try this yourself on your iPhone with virtually any HDR movie.

Why do HDR movies appear dim and desaturated in Apple’s native TV app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.