Apple Pay glitch?

My Apple Pay popped up a “declined” charge at the local grocery store. Problem is, I was at home. The credit card company has no record of an attempted charge, so it doesn’t seem like one was made. The grocery store has no idea. The Apple Support person said they aren’t a financial institution and it can’t have been them, poo-pooed the idea of a glitch.

But this sort of happened once before while I was at that grocery store. I used Apple Pay, transaction went fine, got my receipt. While loading my groceries I got an Apple Pay notification of a declined charge for the exact same amount I had just purchased. No double charge or attempt on the credit card account, so probably dumb of me, but I just thought it was a glitch or something and went home.

Now I’m uneasy. Apple Pay can’t be hacked right? So what is up?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on May 15, 2024 6:43 AM

1 reply

May 15, 2024 7:57 AM in response to kami173

Apple Pay has never been hacked, but banks, credit card companies, merchants and people’s Apple ID have been compromised/hacked. Even the payment method itself (credit/debit card) can be compromised.

If a glitch, as you call it, occurs, the merchants gateway provider, Payment Network or the issuing bank catch the error. In my experience the source of the glitch is the merchant. The failsafes caught the error and life goes on. Many times you never see the notification, but the trend among banks recently is to provide the declined notifications.

Apple Pay glitch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.