iPad stolen - Is is OK to wipe first & then restore new one from iCloud?

My iPad Air was stolen in CDG, Paris. Find my iPad was activated. I have not wiped it. I have a new one, which I want to restore from the last backup of my old one. Is it OK to wipe my old one before setting up the iCloud restore? For some reason, I'm afraid to wipe the old one until I know for sure that it will work to 1)wipe old device 2)use iCloud backup for new iPad. They are both the same model, size, etc., except the new one is unlocked and the old one was ATT. iPad Air, Version iOS 12.5.7, I have the serial number and IMEI if that's helpful to know. Many thanks

iPad Air (5th generation)

Posted on May 15, 2024 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2024 8:30 AM

EHMZKII wrote:

If you still have the box you can lock the ipad forever. Through the Imee the code there. You have to go to apple

Apple will no play no part whatsoever in recovery of a lost or stolen device.

While an IMEI can be used to blacklist a Cellular device from being used with Cellular networks, it cannot be used to permanently disable or prevent use of a device.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2024 8:30 AM in response to EHMZKII

EHMZKII wrote:

If you still have the box you can lock the ipad forever. Through the Imee the code there. You have to go to apple

Apple will no play no part whatsoever in recovery of a lost or stolen device.

While an IMEI can be used to blacklist a Cellular device from being used with Cellular networks, it cannot be used to permanently disable or prevent use of a device.

iPad stolen - Is is OK to wipe first & then restore new one from iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.