Mac mini 2018 not waking screen after sleep

Also mentioned here: Mac mini 2018 will not wake screen (deliv… - Apple Community

Still this is a problem. I bought a new screen but never has my mini ever normally turned on the screen after sleep. Switched to a new monitor Philips 27E1N3300 didn't solve it, tried different ports, didn't solve it, tried HDMI, tried USB-C.

And this is so annoying... every time I turn on my Mini I manually have to press the button of the screen and switch it to the menu to do a setting (reconfirming my language in my case) and then hope for some screen to appear. Most of the times this works but not always and it always takes up over 10s.

How on earth can this still be a problem. I'm aware the 2018 is old, but it works great. It's up2date, runs the newest macOS... I'm happy with it, despite this issue...

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 15, 2024 9:00 AM

19 replies

May 15, 2024 11:43 AM in response to JeffryL

+1 hcsitas beat me to the solution.

The latest macOS versions are having various issues with automatic computer sleep mode.

Some systems crash and force a restart, others freeze up and are unresponsive.

As a test:

Turn on "Prevent automatic sleeping when display is off" and only allow the display to turn off.

Leave the Mac ON during the day and allow the display to turn OFF after 10 or 15 minutes.

Then shut down for longer periods of non-use and overnight, if desired.

May 20, 2024 2:29 PM in response to JeffryL

FWIW, cheap HDMI cables don't cut the mustard from a USB-C to HDMI adapter or the HDMI port.

I have dual displays on my 2018 Mac mini, one from a USB-C port and one from the HDMI port

I had to do a USB-C to HDMI adapter on the wife's M1 Mac mini to keep her happy.

My next move, would have been a couple of 4K or better USB-C to HDMI cables.

May 20, 2024 10:46 PM in response to den.thed

Ah yes! That's also an option of course... never thought of that while I already have a USB to HDMI :).

I saw that regarding to Lock Screen I had some settings different. Try that first - it's now exact as you posted (but then you have no password protection right?

If that doesn't work I'll try the usb-c to HDMI option! Thanks again (for staying with me ;))

May 20, 2024 10:48 PM in response to hcsitas

its not Phillips I got the same issue with my mini 2018, I'm saying its a design flaw caused by the T2 chip. its not the monitor that's causing the issue its an issue with the actual unit, outside of this hdmi issue the Mac mini 2018 is a great unit. its 100% an issue with the Mac mini and the lack of T2 support. These were released right before the M series Macs, this is a very isolated issue, I have a t2 studio that is sold like the mini (just the unit itself, no mouse, keyboard, or monitor) and it works just fine, never once had an issue. honestly the usb c to hdmi is more reliable than hdmi connector. its a roll of the dice

May 20, 2024 11:31 AM in response to hcsitas

And after two days it stopped working again. And weird thing is, then it's impossible to get the screen to turn on unless you plug it in in USB-C again. It doesn't wake, but at least you can force the monitor to turn on by pushing the monitors menu buttons. What I also noticed is that it only seems to 'force wake' if you've already signed in. So you have to enter your password (or use the watch... that helps in my case).

Such a weird issue this is... only positive thing about is is no one else in the fam uses it since they cannot turn it on... :P

May 20, 2024 12:55 PM in response to hcsitas

Maybe my post was not clear. But I do have actually more issues with HDMI. It works for a few days. Prevent sleep doesn’t solve it. And then the ‘force wake’ for some reason only works with USB-C. So it’s not that I’m choosing to keep using USB. There’s just no other option… because the force wake doesn’t work with HDMI. Not on the long term for some mysterious reason. And sometimes a reboot solves it but also not every time. Like throwing a dice.

May 20, 2024 10:40 PM in response to JeffryL

I have a Mac mini 2018 and I've had the same issue since I purchased it, sometimes if I plug the thunderbolt - hdmi along with the hdmi into the same screen it'll work, I know what your talking about though, its super annoying. honestly I'm gonna assume that it has something to do with the T2 chip, getting a new logic board won't help. Do you use a TV or a computer monitor

Mac mini 2018 not waking screen after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.