Upgrading from very old OS to new one

I need to upgrade from Mac OS Catalina to Sonoma on my Macbook Pro. I'm worried that I'm going to risk file corruptions because I've skipped so many OS upgrades in between. I'm probably going to buy a new Macbook Pro within the upcoming year. Would it be safer for me to buy it now so I just have to migrate my data to the new laptop that's running Sonoma, rather than upgrading the OS on my current laptop?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 15, 2024 10:01 AM

2 replies

May 15, 2024 11:09 AM in response to Laurie Leonard

Laurie Leonard wrote:

I need to upgrade from Mac OS Catalina to Sonoma on my Macbook Pro.

I'm worried that I'm going to risk file corruptions because I've skipped so many OS upgrades in between. I'm probably going to buy a new Macbook Pro within the upcoming year. Would it be safer for me to buy it now so I just have to migrate my data to the new laptop that's running Sonoma, rather than upgrading the OS on my current laptop?

you can verify if you "Macbook Pro" is eligible...

macOS Sonoma is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

macOS Sonoma is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

ref:

Update macOS on Mac

Your Catalina is already running: apfs, 64-bit applications only, 2 volume read only System volume, iTunes split into several separate applications...

I think either way you will be fine. It is not as risky as the old days when 2 steps at a time was the general rule.

There is always a learning curve when making a jump, this is to be expected.

Whats new in macOS Sonoma - Apple

Upgrading from very old OS to new one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.