Suggest Access to Full 16 Digit Apple Pay Account Device Number

Hi there,

I used apple pay to pay for something through a square reader, and it seems the only way to get a receipt of the transaction is to enter in the card information used for the transaction at this link: Receipts (squareup.com). (why is this important? receipt was necessary for purchase reimbursement, accounting)

However, when entering my physical card's information, there are no receipts associated with it. This suggests that the apple pay account device number and apple pay visa card info is needed in order to pull the receipt for associated transactions. (note: I am not talking about the apple cash card information. that is different from what I am talking about here)

In my bank transaction history, it also shows that apple pay was used for the transaction.

Currently, I found several articles indicating that it is impossible to get the full 16 digit apple pay account device number. How can one suggest to apple to implement the ability to get this full 16 digit number? It would provide value in cases like this and more.

Posted on May 15, 2024 10:57 AM

3 replies

May 15, 2024 3:28 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Hi Jeff,

I appreciate your response. Allow me to clarify/reiterate.

1. As I previously stated, the issue is procuring a receipt through Square Up's system to submit to my accounting department in order to receive reimbursement for a purchase. Nowhere in my question did I reference anything about a return.
  2. I previously stated that my matter does not pertain to my Apple Card. It actually pertains to one of my visa cards that I had added to my Apple Wallet, and it is labeled in transactions as "Apple Pay Visa". The number for my physical Visa card is different from the 16 digit Apple Pay number associated with my Visa card. I hope that clarifies that part.
  3. The information about Federal banking regulations is very helpful to know, but it is beyond the scope of my situation.
  4. I had previously contacted my bank to see if they had the decrypted number, but online services technical support stated that they could not find any Apply Pay numbers associated with my relevant Visa card or any of my accounts at all. Going through the deeper channels of support to see if they could understand the full context of the situation and end up actually finding and decrypting this number might not be worth the time.

I understand that security is key here. It seems that coming to Apple for a fix for this situation may not be the right path. Perhaps I could try my luck with Square Up instead. At the end of the day, I would've never predicted that it would be near impossible to get a simple receipt for a simple parking transaction.

Once again, I appreciate your time and response.

May 15, 2024 11:35 AM in response to Kwokhowzer

So, what’s the real issue you’re having, a return? That can be solved, but that is separate from the 3 different account numbers.

Apple Card issued by Goldman Sachs is a MasterCard. You can see the MasterCard logo and name on the back of the physical titanium card. I’m not sure how Visa enters into the discussion.

Apple Card has three distinct complete sets of card numbers. The titanium card has numbers that are only accessible via the magnetic strip or the chip. A second complete set of numbers is associated with the virtual card available on your Apple device for use online etc. The third complete set is used for Apple Pay on your devices and is the most secure of the three methods of payment.

You only card have complete access to is the virtual card, so that purchases can be completed online. The other two cards give you access to the last 4 digits of the 16 digit card number. Federal banking regulations in effect since the 2000’s restrict receipts to just the last 4 digits and that is all that is required to, per law, facilitate a return. If the store clerk refuses, raise the issue with the stores manager or district manager.

There is no point in suggesting to Apple to allow the visibility of the Apple Pay device payment number. That’s part of the fundamental security of the service. Once that number is disclosed, Apple Pay is no more secure than the magnetic strip or chip. In fact, the number is encrypted on your devices, it’s encrypted on Apple’s servers and encrypted with the merchant. Only your bank has the decrypted number and only your bank has the key to decrypt the number. Again, part of the extreme security Apple Pay offers.

May 15, 2024 3:54 PM in response to Kwokhowzer

Everything I stated about Apple Pay number (DPAN) remains the same. Doesn’t matter if Apple Card or your Visa card is used for Apple Pay. When you use Apple Pay, the only part of the number visible is the last 4 digits and that’s to facilitate returns. Sorry, that doesn’t work for your receipts. That’s a Square/Block and merchant issue.

The bank has the key, but I can’t imagine a situation where they’ll reveal the full account number.

In the future use the chip or swipe the card to obtain a merchant receipt. The chip and mag strip use the numbers printed on the physical card. You might also see if the merchant has an app to use for payment. The merchant should provide a receipt via email or text via their app.

Sorry for any confusion I caused.

Suggest Access to Full 16 Digit Apple Pay Account Device Number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.