How to copy/paste when working with non-latin pdf text ie Ukrainian (Cyrillic), Arabic (Abjad) in order to translate, on a Mac.

I am trying to translate research papers from languages with non-latin text (Ukrainian, Russian, Arabic, Japanese) to English. Is there a way to copy and paste non-latin text on a Mac correctly preserving the non-latin characters? For example, I have a scanned PDF research paper which I open in Adobe > Edit > highlight and copy the Ukrainian text, but when I CMD+V into Google translate, it gets pasted as nonsense (also tried CMD + SHIFT + V, special paste does not work either). Similarly there is Microsoft Translate tool, but again when I attempt to use copy/paste shortcut keys to paste Ukrainian text from the PDF into a Word doc, it's pasted as nonsense. Opening the Ukrainian pdf in Word also doesn't work because it opens as a scanned file (with images) which Microsoft Translate tool cannot translate. Google translate Docs does not read scanned papers. I have the Ukrainian keyboard loaded and know how to switch the input, but still no luck with the shortcut copy paste commands. How do Mac users with non-latin languages copy and paste??? Need to be able to translate sections of research papers that are in pdf format from various languages to English. Any suggestions welcome!

Posted on May 15, 2024 11:32 AM

4 replies

May 15, 2024 1:11 PM in response to researcher2024

The problem is with the format. PDF is sometimes garbage, with text not available in the Unicode standard required by all computers these days.

If you could provide the url of an example, I could verify that for you.

Apple's Live Text can sometimes translate image text, see if it works on your stuff

Interact with text in a picture in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

How to copy/paste when working with non-latin pdf text ie Ukrainian (Cyrillic), Arabic (Abjad) in order to translate, on a Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.