iPad (WiFi cellular) drops gps location as soon as I takeoff

On the ground while taxiing I get positioning but after takeoff nothing. All apps including Apple Maps are affected . My previous iPad (same make and model) would not experience the problem even while in flight. Could this be a problem specifically with this iPad? I’ve also tried to reset location services, reinstalling apps and restarting the iPad.

Posted on May 15, 2024 12:49 PM

8 replies

May 15, 2024 2:28 PM in response to GPS_PROB_WHILE_IN_FLIGHT

If an identical model iPad produces reliable results, this might suggest an issue with the iPad. However, I'm curious to understand why you might substitute a working iPad for an identical model unless the original was itself perhaps faulty.

Otherwise, if you experience difficulties with GNSS/GPS when used in the cockpit, two logical possibilities exist:

1) Physical positioning of the device is blocking GPS signals. Remember, GPS requires a clear “line of sight” view of the sky. You shouldn’t rely upon reflected GPS signals - as these are unreliable and can significantly reduce accuracy of the computed position solution (i.e., Dilution of Precision, DOP, is degraded).

2) Something in the environment is creating an interfering signal. Even if not on the same frequency, interfering signals can swamp the very low-level signals received by your device. As you are doubtless aware, the typical GA cockpit is filled with avionics and other radio devices.

Speaking of personal experience, I suggest that you consider using an independent GNSS receiver positioned on the combing. Bad Elf, Garmin GLO and GNS 3000 are well regarded.

May 15, 2024 4:10 PM in response to GPS_PROB_WHILE_IN_FLIGHT

While you can use the built-in GNSS capabilities of a WiFi+Cellular model iPad, it may not be best positioned when in use. Using a compatible external GNSS/GPS (connecting either via Bluetooth or a USB connection) permits use of a dedicated receiver that can be better positioned for a clear view of the sky - and will have much better antennae.

WiFi Only models, that do not have any built-in GNSS/GPS capabilities at all, can be augmented with GPS capabilities using an external receiver in the same way.

May 15, 2024 4:13 PM in response to GPS_PROB_WHILE_IN_FLIGHT

GPS_PROB_WHILE_IN_FLIGHT wrote:

I reckon the possible answer is that this specific iPad is malfunctioned

Is it possible that this iPad is actually a WiFi Only model? If so, the issue that you describe would fit perfectly; when on the apron, your iPad may be deriving its location from an active terrestrial WiFi connection.

May 15, 2024 4:23 PM in response to GPS_PROB_WHILE_IN_FLIGHT

GPS_PROB_WHILE_IN_FLIGHT wrote:

Why I switched iPads isn’t your concern sir/madam, and if you don’t have a working response please don’t speculate that I’m lying by jumping to conclusions. I came to apple because I have a problem with the device. I’m sure they love when we purchase products not the other way round.

Whoa... why suddenly so hostile to a genuine desire to offer help that was asked for?

I am not jumping to conclusions at all, or making any accusations whatsoever. I was merely attempting to ascertain what might be happening here - and exploring possible causes of difficulty.

You wouldn't be the first - and certainly wouldn't be the last - to mistake a WiFi Only iPad for a Cellular model. It is certainly not uncommon for users to incorrectly assume that all models of iPad have built-in GNSS capabilities.

iPad (WiFi cellular) drops gps location as soon as I takeoff

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.