Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keynote stopped playing avi files

At some point recently Keynote (version 10.1 (6913)) stopped playing movies that had previously played. I'm running Catalina 10.15.6. The movie files are .avi which I know can cause issues, but they played before no problem AND if i share the file with others, they can play the movies, so it's specific to my laptop and my version of keynote. Any ideas? thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 8:31 AM

The Microsoft .avi video format has never been natively supported on Mac by any Apple sourced application. If you are referring to an old Keynote file, and before it was discontinued, the Perian helper for QuickTime would play .avi videos, but that was years ago, and certainly not now, or on Catalina. You can convert that .avi to .mp4 using the free VLC player, and then re-embed that .mp4 in the Keynote file.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2020 8:31 AM in response to dmatus007

The Microsoft .avi video format has never been natively supported on Mac by any Apple sourced application. If you are referring to an old Keynote file, and before it was discontinued, the Perian helper for QuickTime would play .avi videos, but that was years ago, and certainly not now, or on Catalina. You can convert that .avi to .mp4 using the free VLC player, and then re-embed that .mp4 in the Keynote file.

Sep 21, 2020 7:12 AM in response to SGIII

thanks - the weird thing is that these videos played just fine on my computer just a couple of months ago, using the same operating system, though i do think keynote has updated since - so sure, I can go to the trouble of converting all my movies (I did for a recent presentation since I had no other choice), but it's frustrating b/c they used to play just fine, so it's odd that they would lose compatibility, right? also, if I attempt to export them in Quicktime (the AVI files play just fine in Quicktime, FYI), the resolution gets downsampled quite a bit, which is an issue. So then I need some third party software to convert them, which is annoying.

keynote stopped playing avi files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.