Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The watch strap causing skin allergy.

Hi. I started using apple watch SE a month ago but every time I wear it, it causes skin allergy within few hours and the allergy stays for at least a weak. Any solutions or suggestions? P.s. I am using a silicon strap

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 7

Posted on Jul 3, 2021 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 12:29 AM

I know this is from a week ago, but I will post anyways.

If your Apple Watch band is made of solid silicone,

If you have mild to severe skin irritations/inflammations/reactions to silicone ( fluoroelastomeric )based materials, then you should stop using such bands and choose/purchase a band made of other materials that are more “breath-able” for your skin and can also absorb perspiration, rather than let your skin perspiration just sit on surface of the band that can, also, be another cause of skin reactions.

Braided loop stretch bands, nylon stretch bands, leather bands, stainless steel bands, Milanese bands that have built-in openings/spaces for skin “breathe-ability”, which can minimise skin irritations/inflammations/reactions.

The braided, woven solo loop band will be better as it is woven and will allow air “breathe-ability” allowing skin moisture to either get absorbed into the band or evaporate, which will mean a lot less skin irritation/inflammation/reactions.

Many silicone ( fluoroelastomeric based ) bands are made with varying percentages of glycol based chemicals in the manufacture of such bands.

Many people, it seems, have varying degrees of skin reactions/sensitivities to solid silicone material made bands/watch bands.

Some people more than others ( I have a very mild skin sensitivity to silicone bands, as well ).

That is because solid silicone bands are NOT a porous through material and have no way to “breathe” or allow your skin to breathe through or around tge edges of the band.

Also, silicone bands can trap with skin oils, moisture, dirt, sweat, bacteria and other “nasties”, that can result in varying degrees of skin irritation/inflammation.

It may help not to wear a watch with a silicone band when it is not necessary.

Also, having a slightly looser fitting silicone band may help with lessening skin irritations as a looser band allows more air to move between tge skin around your wrist and the inside of the silicone band.

It will also help if the silicone band is washed daily with warm water and dish detergent and wipe dry and let air dry for a little time everyday to prevent such skin sweat, oils and dirt from being deposited and left on the band for prolonged periods of time.

Discontinue use, if the severity of the skin irritations persist.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2021 12:29 AM in response to sehar229

I know this is from a week ago, but I will post anyways.

If your Apple Watch band is made of solid silicone,

If you have mild to severe skin irritations/inflammations/reactions to silicone ( fluoroelastomeric )based materials, then you should stop using such bands and choose/purchase a band made of other materials that are more “breath-able” for your skin and can also absorb perspiration, rather than let your skin perspiration just sit on surface of the band that can, also, be another cause of skin reactions.

Braided loop stretch bands, nylon stretch bands, leather bands, stainless steel bands, Milanese bands that have built-in openings/spaces for skin “breathe-ability”, which can minimise skin irritations/inflammations/reactions.

The braided, woven solo loop band will be better as it is woven and will allow air “breathe-ability” allowing skin moisture to either get absorbed into the band or evaporate, which will mean a lot less skin irritation/inflammation/reactions.

Many silicone ( fluoroelastomeric based ) bands are made with varying percentages of glycol based chemicals in the manufacture of such bands.

Many people, it seems, have varying degrees of skin reactions/sensitivities to solid silicone material made bands/watch bands.

Some people more than others ( I have a very mild skin sensitivity to silicone bands, as well ).

That is because solid silicone bands are NOT a porous through material and have no way to “breathe” or allow your skin to breathe through or around tge edges of the band.

Also, silicone bands can trap with skin oils, moisture, dirt, sweat, bacteria and other “nasties”, that can result in varying degrees of skin irritation/inflammation.

It may help not to wear a watch with a silicone band when it is not necessary.

Also, having a slightly looser fitting silicone band may help with lessening skin irritations as a looser band allows more air to move between tge skin around your wrist and the inside of the silicone band.

It will also help if the silicone band is washed daily with warm water and dish detergent and wipe dry and let air dry for a little time everyday to prevent such skin sweat, oils and dirt from being deposited and left on the band for prolonged periods of time.

Discontinue use, if the severity of the skin irritations persist.

The watch strap causing skin allergy.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.