Why is facetime disconnecting an active phone call that I am on?

When I receive and incoming facetime call it disconnects my current phone call. This is a serious problem, I was just on hold for 30 minutes waiting for a representative to answer and I go a facetime and it disconnected my active call. This is recurring problem, and I need help fixing.

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2024 10:00 AM

Still happening in January 2024. Infuriating. Apple please fix this

70 replies

Feb 7, 2023 5:40 AM in response to Lissy_12

Hi Lissy,

The option to ignore the FaceTime call is displayed however the issue is, the other call is already disconnected before choosing any options. As my grandfather’s POA I was on the phone with the mortgage company trying to stop his house from foreclosure minutes before the deadline and I received a FaceTime call and my call was automatically ended. This glitch almost costed my grandfather his house, and forced me to buy a plane ticket to Florida to go to court because the call ended. How do I fix this?!

Mar 19, 2023 8:25 AM in response to J_Mo825

This is a horrible bug that Apple needs to address but fortunately it appears in a specific version of iOS. I’ve been in IT for 34 years so I did some sanity tests to support my theory.

I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max with iOS v15.7 and I did this test of being on a phone call and someone FaceTime me and I don’t have the issue. My wife has iPhone 12 Pro Max with iOS v16.3.1 and she was on a phone call and I FaceTime her and she doesn’t have this issue. My daughter is the one having the issues when she is on the phone with clients. She has an iPhone 14 Pro Max with iOS v16.0.3. I did a test and was on the phone with her and her mom FaceTime her and the call drops. This is clearly a bug so she’s now upgrading to iOS v16.3.1.

Jun 8, 2023 1:12 PM in response to Lissy_12

Negative, Batman. What she is saying is that she cannot simply decline. Call or not take the call or whatever. No matter what you do. You’re screwed once a FaceTime beeps in on you. Because you’re gonna lose the call you’re on no matter how important it is the second they stop trying to get through. So that’s specifically what is being asked and I would love to know your answer because it is not the ones offered here, kwim

Jan 7, 2023 7:00 PM in response to J_Mo825

Hi J_Mo825,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! You should have the option to decline the FaceTime call as noted below:

Use FaceTime with your iPhone or iPad

Answer a FaceTime audio call with call waiting
When another call comes in—either a phone call or another FaceTime audio call—you can choose one of these options:
An iPhone showing an incoming call during an ongoing call. The End & Accept, Decline, and Hold & Accept buttons are at the bottom of the screen. 
End & Accept: End the current call and accept the incoming call.
Hold & Accept: Accept the incoming call and put the current call on hold. 
Decline: Decline the incoming call.

Were these options not displayed?

Thanks.

May 1, 2023 8:57 PM in response to Lissy_12

2 days in a row for me. I’m on a FaceTime call (same Apple ID) on my MacBook, and a new incoming FaceTime rings my phone. It immediately hangs up my MacBook as call failed. There is no option to decline the new call it’s just the answer

prompt. I can’t have a call consistently now as any new FT call kills the original call I’m on.

Apr 12, 2024 9:28 AM in response to J_Mo825

This issue with facetime disconnecting an active phone call is really, really annoying. I am unable to deny the Facetime call...too late, my phone call is gone. It is impacting me as a small business owner when clients phone me and I lose their call midway. I am sure they think that I hung up on them.

When is Apple going to resolve this or do they even check in here.

Mar 13, 2023 7:30 AM in response to Lissy_12

I have an iPhone 11 Pro and an iMessage group chat, that we use for Group FaceTime calls. When I am on a regular phone call and I get a FaceTime call through call waiting, it DOES NOT give me the option to accept or decline. The FaceTime call disconnects my current phone call and the FaceTime call drops as well. Also, if there is a current FaceTime call active through iMessage, it will also disconnect my current standard phone call multiple times.

The only fix currently available, is to turn facetime off while on the phone. I hope this gets fixed by Apple soon!!!

Why is facetime disconnecting an active phone call that I am on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.