Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this a dead pixel or a bug in my MacBook Air m1 ?

My MacBook m1 is out of warranty but today itself I am seeing this peculiar thing . I want to know whether this is a dead pixel or it's just some bugs or dirt inside screen .

When I am seeing from different angle it vanishes.

Please let me know

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 10:17 AM

Take a screenshot of the area in question:

Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

Use preview (or other) to view the screenshot.

If the dark spot shows in the screenshot, the issue is software related. Try to power-cycle/restart the Mac to see if the spot goes away.

If the dark spot does NOT show in the screenshot, the issue is hardware related.

In this case, contact Apple support to see what your options are as far as repair goes. If under warranty, this hardware defect may NOT be covered since LCD panels are allowed some dead pixels as "normal".

If NOT under warranty, this will be an expensive repair since the entire LCD would be replaced.

Official Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2023 10:17 AM in response to somdebmukherjee

Take a screenshot of the area in question:

Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

Use preview (or other) to view the screenshot.

If the dark spot shows in the screenshot, the issue is software related. Try to power-cycle/restart the Mac to see if the spot goes away.

If the dark spot does NOT show in the screenshot, the issue is hardware related.

In this case, contact Apple support to see what your options are as far as repair goes. If under warranty, this hardware defect may NOT be covered since LCD panels are allowed some dead pixels as "normal".

If NOT under warranty, this will be an expensive repair since the entire LCD would be replaced.

Official Apple Support

Mar 27, 2023 11:32 AM in response to somdebmukherjee

Then contact Apple support to see what your options are as far as repair goes. If under warranty, this hardware defect may NOT be covered since LCD panels are allowed some dead pixels as "normal".

Official Apple Support

Or just live with it since the repair will not be cheap. Also realize that if you do choose to get it repaired, the replacement LCD may not be 100% perfect either since (as I mentioned above) some dead pixels are considered normal. You may in fact get a replacement LCD that could have even more dead pixels than the one that is currently on your MacBook.

See the following guide that explains LCD pixel anomalies

About LCD display pixel anomalies for Apple products released in 2010 and later - Apple Support

Is this a dead pixel or a bug in my MacBook Air m1 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.