Keyboard marks on Macbook Pro M1 14" screen

After 1 year of use some permanent, non cleanable marks appeared on my screen. Specially spacebar marks and adjacent areas of the mousepad where the hand stands while typing.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 12:56 AM

Yup, same issue with my M2 Air, bought only a few months ago and the keyboard imprint is already permanent! You spend thousands on a laptop expecting quality, and yet apple lets a simple screen clearance flaw pass like this?!

Similar questions

24 replies

Dec 26, 2023 7:46 AM in response to teoboni

hi i had the same issue. i wiped my macbook air’s screen keyboard marks with microfiber cloth moistened with alcohol (just one drop of alcohol) lightly in a circular motion a couple of times and it did the trick. genuinely thought the marks were permanent because it took a while to get rid of them. hope this helps!!

Feb 27, 2024 6:29 PM in response to kadepow11

I have the same problem with a 15 inches 2017 Macbook Pro.

I is still working well after a battery replacement in 2021.

I paid 5000 $ canadian for that computer. Seing that the clearance between the keyboard and the screen is insufficient to avoid this kind of problem is shocking me considering the price of this computer.

Seing that the problem is stil present on M2 machines, and probably M3 Macbook Pro is puzzling me since I will have to pay close to 7000 $ can to get a new Mac since I cannot upgrade my present Mac to the latest OS Sonoma.

I have been an real Mac aficionado since 1988 and an Apple II, IIe and IIc user from 1978 to 1988. This is 46 years of fidelity to Apple but I am a bit discouraged when I see that Apple is not listening to its users.

I had problems with my Apple II (defective powers supply repaired by a friend that was a crack in electronic), my Mac SE (defective power supply replaced on warranty), my 2006 iMac 24" (keyboard problem), my 2011 Macbook Pro (defective graphic card soldered with lead less solder and my actual Macbook Pro 2017 (swelling battery after less than 4 years of use, replaced in 2021).

Who shall I contact at Apple to tell them how I feel now.

Apr 7, 2023 10:20 AM in response to teoboni

Did you ever use a keyboard cover or protector?

This is Apple's take on those: Using a camera cover, palm rest, or keyboard cover on a Mac notebook - Apple Support

How to proceed? With all honestly, live with it. The display assembly is a sealed unit. Any damage to any part of the assembly requires complete replacement to fix. That will cost a minimum of US$500; could be more for a 14"

Apr 6, 2023 7:07 PM in response to teoboni

I try to avoid putting pressure on the display when carrying the laptop because there is so little clearance between the display & keyboard. This has always been an issue with Apple laptops even back on the 2012-2015 Retina models and the clearance is even less today. Keep in mind Apple does place a piece of very thin foam/cloth between the display & keyboard when shipping the laptops from the factory even though the laptop is within a very sturdy box. I don't recommend putting anything between the display & keyboard except perhaps the original material Apple used from the factory or you risk cracking the glass and/or LCD panel.

The keys are rubbing the anti-reflective coating from the Display. You can have Apple check the laptop to see if they will do anything. I know that Apple has a secret free repair program available for the older models, but I don't think that program applies to Apple Silicon Macs. Even if the program is valid for Apple Silicon Macs, I don't think the coating is affected enough to even qualify for the program. Apple has some very strict guidelines for determining how bad the anti-reflective coating issue must be especially if it is just the key impressions.

Apr 6, 2023 7:24 PM in response to teoboni

teoboni Said:

"Keyboard marks on Macbook Pro M1 14" screen: After 1 year of use some permanent, non cleanable marks appeared on my screen. Specially spacebar marks and adjacent areas of the mousepad where the hand stands while typing."

-------

Perhaps this is a Faulty Mac?:

How old is this Mac? Is it really over than 365 days since the date of purchase? If it is covered under warranty, or if you Apple AppleCare on this if might be deemed a Faulty Device. Note that you have a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-warranty on this device, if purchased directly from Apple. So, setup a Genius Bar Appointment at your Local Apple Store.

Apr 7, 2023 12:34 PM in response to teoboni

@Allan Jones is correct.

From the picture provided, the issue appears to be minor at this point and doesn't affect the actual viewing of the screen when using the laptop. Yes it may be annoying to see when the screen is dark, but so what. Just try to adjust how you handle the laptop when the display is closed. If you carry the laptop in a bag, then make sure nothing is putting pressure on the laptop or the back of the display.

You can also provide Apple with product feedback (Apple won't respond):

Product Feedback - Apple

Keyboard marks on Macbook Pro M1 14" screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.