Apple Watches suddenly acting strange

Hi,

this morning I noticed unusual activity on my watches when they were out of my wrist. A watches tried unlock by itself!! First time I was only watching the tries - one number, pause, sleep mode, wake up, 3 numbers of 4 - ok, I turned them off immediately. After then I improved safety on my other devices and changed PIN on watches too, including turn off short PIN unlock. But after that, I was witness of same strange activity like a first time + faster self typing numbers, OK BUTTON INCLUDED!!! Turned them off again. Now I'm waiting on Apple support if they can help me with this. I have a suspicion that it was attempted hacker attack.

J.

[Edited by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 7, watchOS 9

Posted on May 27, 2023 12:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2023 3:06 PM

Hi,

thanks for your post. Probably you right. I had watches left on my charge station nearby charging pod but oposite of magnetic charge side because watches was good with battery capacity at the moment so it was irrelevant for me let charge them again - station is always ready to charge all magsafe devices. And its true that is charging place for airpods back of the charging side for watches - maxbe that caused the ghost finger effect 👻😱

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2023 3:06 PM in response to MrHoffman

Hi,

thanks for your post. Probably you right. I had watches left on my charge station nearby charging pod but oposite of magnetic charge side because watches was good with battery capacity at the moment so it was irrelevant for me let charge them again - station is always ready to charge all magsafe devices. And its true that is charging place for airpods back of the charging side for watches - maxbe that caused the ghost finger effect 👻😱

Apr 1, 2024 12:35 PM in response to djeetee

watchOS 10.4 includes new features, improvements and bug fixes, including:

• Tap to Show Full Notification setting now allows you to double-tap to expand the notification
  • Using Apple Pay with Confirm with AssistiveTouch will require a passcode for additional security and will not support double-clicking the side button
  • Resolves an issue that causes some users to experience false touches on the display
  • Fixes an issue that prevents contacts from syncing to Apple Watch for some users

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: Apple security releases - Apple Support

May 27, 2023 2:21 AM in response to Kuboslav

Very doubtful but never say never

It would have to be via wi-fi so I wonder how secure your network is.

I cannot reproduce it by opening my iphone to unlock the ïŁżWatch.

Uninstall any VPN or security apps from iphone, those crooks will try anything.

Unpair and re-pair the ïŁżWatch as a new watch (no backup restore) then ensure the passcode is set to erase after 10 failed attempts.

Ensure wrist detection is on.

And replace the router with one with better security Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

May 28, 2023 2:18 PM in response to Kuboslav

Very unlikely, but possible: a device compromise. Unlikely, per available information, as most of us are just not worth targeting. And this would be an unusually overt hack, too. You know your own particular risks best, though. Factory reset (un-pair and re-pair) would be one option.

Unlikely, but possible: problems caused by a protective film or by a protective case, so remove any of that in use here, and then clean the display per this: How to clean your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Far more likely: the display or the digitizer or related hardware has probably failed. “Ghost touches” is another name for this sort of failure. Get the hardware looked at.

Multiple cases of this same error might mean an issue with a charger, or cable, or a power glitch. Or maybe a common environmental exposure of some sort. Odd gunk on the display. The “assistance” of somebody with physical access causing damage. Other lesser possibilities exist, such as exposure to a very strong magnetic field.

But somebody is going to need to look at these.

Apr 1, 2024 12:09 PM in response to Kuboslav

just had this happen today. all of a sudden, the apple watch started launching apps, making calls and when took it off my wrist, it started entering the password on and on.

I restarted it by holding the side buttons down for 10 sec. now it's back on my wrist and seems like it's behaving.

I suspect something triggered this - maybe a misunderstood command (i was on a call, speaker on) that confused the **** out of it. It is not a breach because my network is secure, the phone was next to me and nothing could be downloaded onto the phone except through the AppStore and i have not downloaded anything for a while.

it is worrying I must say.

May 9, 2024 5:23 PM in response to Kuboslav

Mine just did the same thing. First started jumping from one screen to another, scrolling and acting like someone operates it remotely. Then whet I tried to restart it it called 911 twice
 then locked itself for extended time because it was typing random numbers on the unlock screen. I finally did force-reset. After waiting 15 minutes of lockout, I unlocked it and it seems ok but I lost my trust to Apple Watch.

Apple Watches suddenly acting strange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.