Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Can I retrieve a lost text message draft on my iPhone 12 Pro Max?

I was writing a long text, I lost power and the draft is gone. Can I retrieve it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 9:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2023 8:32 AM

AGREED! How can apple claim that there phones are so advanced when something as simple as a draft of a text message is not left available when navigating to other screens. Yet another reason I only use apple products because my employer forces it upon us

29 replies

Feb 2, 2024 8:10 AM in response to kath0429

Unfortunately, the phone doesn’t have to lose power for us iPhone users to lose a text. if you leave it sitting too long or navigate to another app, there’s a good chance it will disappear.

how could they possibly not know? Unforgivable, ridiculous — and disrespectful if not downright arrogant that they don’t fix the problem.

Jun 3, 2023 10:23 PM in response to kath0429

Unfortunately, if you were typing a long text message and your iPhone lost power before you could send it or save it, there’s no built-in way to recover that draft.

iPhone doesn’t automatically save drafts of text messages. If the message wasn’t sent and the Messages app was closed (like in the case of a power outage), the drafted message would be lost.

For the future, if you’re drafting a longer message, it might be better to compose it in the Notes app or another app that automatically saves your work as you type. That way, even if your phone unexpectedly shuts down, you won’t lose your work.

Please also consider keeping your phone charged to avoid such power-related issues while working on something important.

Jun 3, 2023 9:41 PM in response to kath0429

kath0429 Said:

"Lost draft of long text messages: I was writing a long text, I lost power and the draft is gone. Can I retrieve it?"

-------

What to Consider:

A. Restore from Today's Backup:

Restore your iPhone from a backup of it that contains these messages, and you could recover it.

B. Check Messages App:

If messages was enabled on your iPhone along with your Apple computer, then check and see if the Messages app is enabled on your Mac to see if it exists in it. You'd start up your Mac, not connecting to the Internet, and open the Massages app. Then proceed from there with retrieving it. Important: Be certain you do not connect to the Internet while booting up, as syncing would delete it. So, power off your router to avoid the connection.

Feb 5, 2024 9:22 AM in response to Jesse-at-one

Jesse-at-one wrote:

The fact that Apple and iPhones do not auto save long, thoughtful (group) texts has me grumpy! Now, I’m preferring to draft detailed communication in iNotes FIRST!!! Really inexcusable and very UN user friendly!!! Ooouuufff! (That’s French for fill in your own profane words!). 😆

Tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

Feb 14, 2024 6:42 AM in response to MmmmJa

MmmmJa wrote:

Legit shocked they don’t have an auto recovery feature for drafted text.

You can let Apple know what you'd like to see here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Meanwhile, if you make a habit of using Messages for more than short messages that you finish all at one go, I'd suggest you compose them in app more suited to that such as Notes. You can easily share your completed message back to Messages using the Share function.

Feb 2, 2024 3:18 PM in response to RickFalls

RickFalls wrote:

Unfortunately, the phone doesn’t have to lose power for us iPhone users to lose a text. if you leave it sitting too long or navigate to another app, there’s a good chance it will disappear.

how could they possibly not know? Unforgivable, ridiculous — and disrespectful if not downright arrogant that they don’t fix the problem.

That's the way the iPhone works. If you switch away from an app, it is suspended. If the system needs more memory, it will pull it from any suspended apps. Messaging apps are not email or word processing apps. They were never designed to draft long documents. If that's something you that regularly do, create the message in something like Notes. It's very easy to share the note back to Messages. You don't even have to copy and paste.

Can I retrieve a lost text message draft on my iPhone 12 Pro Max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.