Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

On screen key board popping up

when I start using the external key board for my iPad, the on screen keyboard also comes up when I click on the cursor. This hides half the screen.

hiw do I remove the onscreen key board when I am using a external key board?

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 9:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 3:42 AM

When using an external keyboard, ideally you will also use a Bluetooth Mouse or Apple Trackpad. This will allow cursor positioning without interacting with the iPad screen, triggering the [unwanted] on-screen keyboard.

The iPad User Guide provides information about using your iPad with an external keyboard - and configuring appropriate settings:

Adjust the onscreen and external keyboard settings on iPad - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2023 3:42 AM in response to RamCB

When using an external keyboard, ideally you will also use a Bluetooth Mouse or Apple Trackpad. This will allow cursor positioning without interacting with the iPad screen, triggering the [unwanted] on-screen keyboard.

The iPad User Guide provides information about using your iPad with an external keyboard - and configuring appropriate settings:

Adjust the onscreen and external keyboard settings on iPad - Apple Support

On screen key board popping up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.