MacOS Notes App, Cursor jumps back when typing fast.

As Subject says, the cursor keeps jumping around while typing in the Notes App. This bug has been persistent among many versions and still no fixes for maybe a year. There's also a reddit thread about this with many users with the same experience. When will this be fixed?!?!?!

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/11gw9cw/jumping_cursor_while_typing_in_notes_app_even/

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 10:40 PM

I'm really sick of this problem. It's been going on for over a year. This is an obvious problem with the Notes app that hasn't been resolved in over a year. During this time, the app developers have developed many new useless features, and they don't want to solve this really big problem!

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2023 10:40 PM in response to zeki893

I'm really sick of this problem. It's been going on for over a year. This is an obvious problem with the Notes app that hasn't been resolved in over a year. During this time, the app developers have developed many new useless features, and they don't want to solve this really big problem!

Jul 4, 2023 5:36 PM in response to zeki893

Hello zeki893,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. Are you experiencing this behavior with any other application like Pages, Numbers, or any third-party application on your Mac? This will help us determine if it is specific with the Notes application or a system-wide issue.

We've also located some steps that might help in this situation. Please complete all the steps here, and let us know if that helps:

If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Jan 11, 2024 7:55 PM in response to Ozhoom

Hello, Seems this is not a good solution and does not solve the 'real' problem. You have suggested to turn off all of the features that make a modern smart phone or smart device "smart". I agree, it solves your problem, but not the real issue that Apple needs to address.

The real issue a "an across device latency issue". Meaning if you close the app, in this case Notes on all of the device using the same iCloud account and open the app, Notes, on a single device the problem is gone until the app is opened on a 2nd or 3rd or 4th device. As more devices open the app the problem gets worse.

Apple really needs to pay attention to this issue and solve it.

Band-aid fixes such as the one you suggested are great for the short-term, but not a long-term solution.

And Notes is not the only app affected. My 2 cents, it's an iCloud sync issue. Similar to the native mail app not syncing flagged mail, some read/unread mail, etc. Or Numbers not having the updated formulas and values on all devices at the same time. Ugh Apple. Solve it. Please.

MacOS Notes App, Cursor jumps back when typing fast.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.