How to fix import errors in the Mail application?

hello

The application does not work

When opening it, he requests the import of e -mails

In the end, a message appears "The Import Failed"

Because of the area of the device, knowing that the area is more than 250GB unused

I hope you help me solve the problem without losing my email and thank you

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 4:51 AM

This is happening to me as well, and there is plenty of storage space on my Mac.

Maybe my Mail database is too big? Nearly 200k messages...

But it used to work well until yesterday, today suddenly an import is necessary (and since it fails, Mail is not running anymore).

22 replies

Apr 21, 2024 11:33 AM in response to iraayeed

I followed some of the information in this thread and fixed it very easily by simple unchecking Mail from all the Internet Accounts in System Preferences except for iCloud. I started Mail it started instantly with only 257k and then I right-clicked on the iCould inbox folder and selected Sync Mail with iCould. It went to work and did its thing. Lastly I brought back all my other internet accounts online. Easy peasy :)

Dec 1, 2023 10:00 AM in response to VikingOSX

I get the same "Import Failed" message. I have 1.95TB of unused space. Got new M1 Macbook to replace old 2011 Macbook which was using Outlook -- which now requires a subscription. I copied everything to new M1 Mac via TimeMachine. I don't know what the M1 Mac Mail thinks it needs to import. Is there something somewhere I can just "blow away" and start over? I do still have access to the old 2011 Macbook...

Feb 3, 2024 4:52 PM in response to Polanski

I was in the same predicament. I finally gave up and contacted Apple Support (in Sweden) and a very skilful and helpful guy helped me through the problem. To solve the problem I had to cancel all three mail accounts I have in System settings. Be sure that you have all data about your accounts stored somewhere or printed out so you can reregister again.

After that I started Mail app again and now it launched but of cource with very few data.

Then I registred the account from my internet provider (but leaving the two accounts which were private domains) and all of a sudden the import begun.

Then we tried to reenter one of the other accounts, but failed when using the private domain email adress. We then changed to the ”original” account (used for redirecting incoming and outgoing mails) which is from the same provider as in the first attempt. Now this account also showed up and imported all stuff related, but as the ”original"email account. The same procedure with the last account was successful, and now I’m very glad that everything is up and running.

So there is some some mismatch between Sonoma and my private adresses which I have to figure out with my domain service provider.

Of course there is a lot of things to sort out (layout, delete old stuff, move certain mailes to right folders etc) before all is back to ”normal” again.

Aug 7, 2023 1:22 PM in response to iraayeed

Hi iraayeed,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! For this error, you'll want to ensure you follow the guidance below to free space on your Mac:

Free up storage space on your Mac

If you continue to receive the error, we recommend that you reach out to Apple Support directly to take a further look. Please reach out here:

Apple Support

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

How to fix import errors in the Mail application?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.