I lost the copy of the recovery key

My bag got stolen. And the only copy of the recovery key is in there. And I don’t have a number at the moment coz the contract got cancelled. So I won’t be able to recieve an sms for a verification

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2024 2:25 PM

I lost my recovery key please how can I get it back or how can I tune off the recovery key

35 replies

Sep 9, 2023 1:19 PM in response to nicolemori

To be clear, use of a Recovery Key (RK) is entirely optional.

Using it places the ENTIRE burden of future account recovery on YOU.

Apple literally can not help you regain access to your account if disaster strikes.

If you have a solid, well-conceived - and routinely rehearsed - disaster recovery plan established, great.

If not … and given your OP you don’t … you might consider NOT using RK until such a plan IS established.

Sep 9, 2023 1:10 PM in response to nicolemori

Hey there nicolemori,

We understand you're experiencing issues with a lost recovery key, and we'd like to help.

Get started here: How to generate a recovery key

This page may also help: Two-step verification for Apple ID

Specifically, check out the section below:

"What if I lose my Recovery Key?

You can sign in to your Apple ID account page and create a new Recovery Key using your Apple ID password and one of your trusted devices.

1. Go to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Sign in with your password and trusted device.
  3. In the Security section, click Edit > Replace Lost Key.

Keep your new Recovery Key in a safe place. Your old Recovery Key won't work anymore and you can't use it to reset your password or access your account. If you don't see Recovery Key in the Security section, then you are not using two-step verification. "

Please let us know the outcome after giving the above steps a try.

Cheers!

Mar 13, 2024 2:07 PM in response to L0vem4gbf

With an Apple Silicon Mac - and depending on how you configured during setup - you might

NOT need a recovery key to regain access to your laptop.

Go thru these linked instructions to see if you can regain access to your MacBook.

Read thru the instructions carefully before attempting.

There are quite a few “If Then Else” statements.

If you forgot your Mac login password - Apple Support

May 22, 2024 3:13 AM in response to wasif36

Activation Lock is a hardware protection scheme.

You clear it by entering your AppleID password.

If you ALSO don’t know your AppleID password see this:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you use Advanced Data Protection AND set up both a recovery key and a recovery contact, you can use either your recovery key or recovery contact to regain access to your account.

Ref: Set up a recovery key for your Apple ID – Apple Support (AU)

If none of these are available, your AppleID will remain permanently inaccessible.

You can then only possibly regain use of your device by submitting appropriate proof of ownership to Apple via an Activation Lock Support Request.

https://al-support.apple.com/#/getsupport

I lost the copy of the recovery key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.