Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Apple Music broken after Sonoma 14.0 update

I've been having a handful of issues with Apple Music on my MacBook Pro 14"

1) Music will randomly stop halfway through the song and after pausing and resuming a handful of times it will continue to play, but when the next song is ready to play, it'll jump back to where it stopped halfway through the song. I noticed this specifically when wearing AirPod Pros.

2) I can't listen to music in my library and click on any other tab or the music will stop playing. For example, I'll play a song from an album and then click the search bar to search another artist and then the song will stop playing and my queue is cleared.

3) Album art does not show up next to the song at the top on the Apple Music currently playing bar.

Hopefully these issues can be fixed in a bug fix update!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 4:01 PM

Ever since the upgrade I'm unable to update my Cloud Music Library in Apple Music. I've lost all the songs I've added over the years with my subscription and I'm unable to make playlists with any songs from Apple Music. Customer support was an absolute nightmare....

Similar questions

31 replies

Nov 23, 2023 12:24 PM in response to lanezh04

Same problem...but what I REALLY don't understand is how Apple gets away with this nonsense year after year without consequences. It's ridiculous and unfair to the consumers that made them the richest company in the US besides Amazon. At least Amazon provides a good service.

Don't you guys even test these updates before you unleash them on us??

Oct 31, 2023 7:32 AM in response to lanezh04

All the CD's I imported into my Music library before the "upgrade" are now jumbled together in one huge random file called "Unknown." However, anything I add after it registers correctly.

All I have to do now is reload 500 CDs.

I suspect this is a feature, not a bug, aimed at forcing users to re-purchase their entire music collection from Apple. Apple....prove me wrong!.......

Nov 22, 2023 9:12 PM in response to lanezh04

This is not a problem with settings. This is a genuine bug with Sonoma. I'm updated to 14.1.1. and this problem is still an issue. I can't play a full song in Apple Music. The OS keeps pushing some kind of command that not only skips tracks half way through, but also disconnects bluetooth headsets. I have to keep reselecting my headphones in the sound menu. We should not have to keep restarting in safe mode, when this is a basic functional issue. Please address this and not pass it off as a non issue.

Feb 24, 2024 2:28 PM in response to Cheeky Fudge

I had a similar issue, and a similar solution, but rather than create a new playlist, dragging the songs from the old one,I would right click the playlist and select 'duplicate'. This creates a duplicate playlist containing all the same songs but with the word 'copy' appended to the end of the playlist name. Then it was just a matter of deleting the old playlist and removing the word copy from the title of the duplicate.

Mar 16, 2024 1:37 PM in response to lanezh04

My issue with this was that after I force-quit Apple Music it refused to launch; it would start, wait a few seconds, not allowing me to do anything, then in the "Force Quit Applications" window it would suddenly light up as red, then crash and give me a crash report (which does me absolutely NO good!). I tried restart, safe mode, nothing.

Reading from one help page, I deleted the "plist" preference files and viola!, it came back! And, all my imported CDs AND Music Store purchases were available!

From Finder, go to the "Go" in the menubar and select "Go To Folder" (near the bottom).

Copy this line, and paste it in the window that opens:

~/Library/Preferences

And hit return

In the window that opens, I selected these two files and put them in the trash:

com.apple.Music.eq.plist

com.apple.Music.plist

Restarted, launched Music, and it worked! My view settings had reset, but otherwise, I'm back using again, and best of all didn't lose anything.

Your mileage may vary, but I hope this helps...

iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2019, 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, Sonoma 14.4 (23E214)

Oct 21, 2023 6:38 AM in response to lanezh04

Yeah, it's just hanging on the blank box with a cancel button screen. Reminds me of 2007 itunes debacle. [edit: the only way to get rid of it, is to do a killall or force quit, pressing cancel doesn't work] [edit: irony, I just want to buy some music, I bought an album the other day before the upgrade, and want to get an EP, so we're annoyed and they're losing money]

Dec 26, 2023 6:48 PM in response to lanezh04

For me the main issue is that Apple Music no longer allows me to add songs to playlists using the right click method, now only allowing it via the drag-and-drop method, which is much slower when you have lots of playlists in folders. Hopefully this will be fixed in future updates, just as the removal of time bands within the recently added view was; otherwise, I will have to think about changing music organisation software as this is far too time consuming when adding songs to multiple playlists. Please fix this issue ASAP.

Jan 5, 2024 3:37 AM in response to gavsky

Another workaround I’ve been using is creating a new playlist, dragging the entire old playlist into it, deleting the old playlist, and then renaming the new one to the old playlist’s name. This then allows you to right-click add songs again for some reason. I’ve done this to half my playlists and had to update my smart playlists accordingly. It’s really time consuming but certainly works and I’ve had no issues with the new playlists over the past week. Hope that helps.

Oct 5, 2023 10:35 AM in response to lanezh04

Hi lanezh04,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities! We recommend testing out this behavior in safe mode. It will help isolate what may be causing it. This article goes over how to start in safe mode, depending on your Mac model: Start up your Mac in safe mode. It also includes some steps to try next whether it persists in safe mode or not.

Cheers!

Oct 9, 2023 12:33 PM in response to lanezh04

lanezh04,

Since Apple Music is built in, you might want to try some other fixes as it may be temporary. We know you mentioned wanting an update, so be sure to check for those: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

1. Before installing new software, it's a good idea to back up your Mac. If you have an external storage device, you can use it to back up your Mac with Time Machine.
2. To check for new software, open Software Update:
* From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Settings. Click General in the sidebar, then click Software Update on the right.
* Or in earlier versions of macOS, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Software Update.
3. If Software Update finds new software, click the Update or Upgrade button to download and install it. You will be asked to enter your administrator password, which is the password you use to log in to your Mac. During installation, your Mac might show a progress bar or blank screen several times.
Software Update settings

If you want to do more troubleshooting, you can also isolate this further using a new temporary user and check to see if the same issues happen there: Add a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

If they are, as a last step, you can reinstall Music which will refresh the Music app itself. Since Music is built in, the way to do this is through reinstalling macOS: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Take care.

Apple Music broken after Sonoma 14.0 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.