Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iPhone 15 front camera issues

Whenever I open the camera, the quality looks fine, but after capturing the picture, it turns out terrible. The picture has a grainy and noisy appearance even in good lighting. When I compare the iPhone 12's front camera with the iPhone 15, the better quality comes from the iPhone 12. I don't know what it is, but it seems like Apple may have compromised the front camera quality this time.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 12:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 10:07 AM

Same here …is there any solution ? I hate my pictures . My face looks grey , SMOKY , grainy ans blurry ! Apple i’m very disappointed hope you’re going to fix this asap , it’s terrible ! My 14 pro max was far better

107 replies

Jan 7, 2024 8:38 AM in response to neha___03

For the love of god, address this issue and release a software update that fixes this!

I’m a designer and being in the creative industry i could notice the grainy, oversharpened bad photo quality immediately. Why the supposed top tier phone in the market takes horrendous selfie pictures? You’re doing your loyal customers dirty and your reputation will not be the same after this.

Dec 1, 2023 6:17 PM in response to neha___03

I completely agree. When I’m taking a photo, it looks great looking at it from my camera. But the minute I look at it the photo it’s blurry, greyed out, and just looking washed out.

I thought it was a camera setting I messed up or something and went looking for answers on the web and unfortunately came across this thread. It’s so terrible that apple would do this.

Jan 11, 2024 8:16 PM in response to neha___03

Whenever I open the camera, the quality looks fine, but after capturing the picture, it turns out terrible. The picture has a grainy and noisy appearance even in good lighting. When I compare the iPhone 12's front camera with the iPhone 15, the better quality comes from the iPhone 12. I don't know what it is, but it seems like Apple may have compromised the front camera quality this time.

Please solve this problem #apple

Dec 4, 2023 5:43 PM in response to gopika224

Try taking the photos in RAW format, and also, deactivate in configuration of Photos app: View Full HDR.

That solves it a little.

Also, you can try: activating prioritize faster shooting; and activating volume up for burst photos. Then take ur photos by holding the volume up. They will look 90% like u were seeing on the screen, but they will loose a bit of quality.

Also, you can try, taking them without RAW (default format), but before taking them you put exposure up to 0,7. (and have view Full HDR deactivated in configuration of Photos app).

However, these are temporary solutions, Apple should fix this ASAP

Jan 29, 2024 6:46 AM in response to neha___03

I think I SOLVED this. READ BELOW

I bought the iPhone like 2 months ago, and tried everything, believe me everything. I even have like 10 apps that take photos and compared everything. I'll here write a "guide" to kind of solve this nightmare.

(However, APPLE SHOULD KNOW THIS IS NOT OK. Clearly people who don't like taking photos don't care about the camera, but we, who like taking selfies sometimes, are so disappointed).

Well.

1- At the settings, search "View full HDR". Let me explain: this is an option that comes by default activated. I thought this did nothing but it actually does. A month ago I tried that solution but I didn't like it. Today I understood... View Full HDR is just a thing made for the native iPhone Photos App. So, actually the horrible selfie you are seeing in the photos app is "not that horrible" if you find the photo via instagram's photos gallery. (But it's still horrible). First step is deactivating View full HDR.

Test it yourself like this: go to a place in your house with a nice light, (not direct sun) but a sunny day maybe. Take a selfie, and a milisecond after that, take a screenshot also.

If you have View full HDR activated, the screenshot and the photo will look VERY different. But if you deactivate it, it will start looking a little better.

Take into account that, since this is as I said, something for the Photos App; deactivating it will show photos the way they would actually upload in instagram. (So, for me, it's a good idea to deactivate it) (Activate it just for landscapes).

2- OK, now that you deactivated the fullHDR, also, let's adjust the exposure on the camera app. Go to the cam, and touch the little triangle. Then touch de + - icon and put more or less +0,7

(The idea is having this forever, so in the configuration of the iPhone camera you should activate Preserve configuration of Exposure Adjustment).

This will take more lively photos and your skin won't look grey.

3- Ok now that we have done those steps, go to settings again and in Camera/formats activate ProRaw control.

Now, before taking the selfie, make sure you hit the button "RAW". (You can also preserve this in settings).

We're done.

Conclusion: Now take selfies like that:

RAW + no view full hdr + exposure 0,7

This way, the photos will look very veryyy similar to what you see before taking them.

You may try comparing your "fixed selfies" to selfies took in Instagram. Both of them may now look nice.

The instagram ones a little darker maybe, because in ur photos app you have a little more exposure.

OPTIONAL WORKAROUNDS

a- Take videos instead of selfies

b- Use a third party app. I like Yamera

c- Take selfies in Portrait mode and put studio light. Modify the amount to your wish.

d- Take selfies without doing anything I said, but after taking them, put edit, and push the button above on the left, the one that looks like an hexagon so you can add "studio light" to your pic. This will make it look nicer.

NICE APPS TO HAVE and edit the photos a little more (Strongly suggested)

Lightroom, Peach, SODA

APPLE: PLEASE JUST MAKE THE SELFIES LOOK LIKE THEY LOOK ON THE SCREEN BEFORE TAKING THEM.

Dec 6, 2023 10:16 AM in response to Minou98

Very disappointed by front camera of iphone 15pro max ,its worst camera in the world waste of money ,a 10dollar smart phone selfie camera is better than this expensive 1300 dollars camera.no reply from apple to all complainers this is really terrible for iphone lovers.apple should fix front camera other wise top trend on twitter and all social plateforms as a worst ever front camera in the world and people will return and no one can buy to waste his money.waiting for fix front camera issue and raising complain to all plateforms.

iPhone 15 front camera issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.