Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Background sounds stops abruptly and restarts on it's own after updating my iPhone 12 to iOS 17

After updating to iOS 17, background sounds no longer works correctly. The night I updated, I turned the dark noise option on from control panel and it began playing like normal. About a minute later it went completely quiet and came back to full volume after a period of silence. I thought my phone had died or something with how abrupt it was. After another minute or so it did it again, and again, and again, to the point where I had to turn it off. I tried launching it from the settings option instead or picking a different sound, but I’m getting the same result. I’m not sure if it’s a bug in the latest update, but I’d appreciate having this feature back.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2024 11:03 AM

I used background noise every night for sleeping and I can’t even use it anymore, it turns off and on constantly 😭

15 replies

Jan 8, 2024 1:04 AM in response to Rosdower

This happens to me too. I use the background noise to sleep at night. It is currently Sunday, 4:00 a.m. and I cannot sleep because of this. I have school in less than 4 hours. The noise plays for about 45 seconds, before it gets very loud for about a quarter of a second, then it shuts off completely for anywhere from 5-15 seconds. Then it happens again, and again, and again. I sit here, staring at my ceiling, on the last day of winter break, frustrated and annoyed. I’m relieved I am not the only one suffering from this. Please fix this.

Apr 14, 2024 11:14 AM in response to Rosdower

I have tinnitus hearing aids and I am using the stream sound in the background. The noise will stop and I will ALWAYS find the background sounds toggle switch off.

the “ stop sounds when locked” is not selected ( as always). When my background sound stops— it is ALWAYS the background sound button turning itself of.

After years of exposure to jet noise while serving in the Air Force I have very loud tinnitus. My state of the art hearing aids are provided by the VA because of my disabling tinnitus.

But my dream of a tinnitus solution has come undone because of a software glitch?

This is MY plea—Apple this malfunction isn’t a minor irritant. It is rendering the help my hearing aids were supposed to provide—pretty useless.

Tinitus treatment is a way to distract your brain from a loud annoying constant anxiety producing background buzzing. The tinnitus is still there but your brain chooses to listen to the soothing stream sound instead.

when the steam suddenly cuts out—my tinnitus becomes louder than it was before.

If i was a car, that problem would be my brakes. My brain needs to have good brakes, or I suffer an injury.

PLEASE, get this off your back burner!!

Background sounds stops abruptly and restarts on it's own after updating my iPhone 12 to iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.