AVIF HDR photos exported from Lightroom not rendered correctly on iPad Pro/iPhone XDR displays

Hello folks, I got some issues viewing HDR photos on iPad and iPhone that have XDR displays.

Setup

• Used Adobe Lightroom (Lr for short) for iPad 9.0.0 8AFC9B/112 to edit and export .AVIF HDR photos.
  • Photos were correctly tuned in Lr on an iPad Pro, both color and exposure looks normal in edit previews.

Expectation

• When viewing the AVIF photos on iPad Pro using the Photos app, the photos should look identical to the edit preview in Lr.

Actual Results

• When viewing using the Photos app on both iPad Pro and iPhone, exposure and color are not consistent with the Lr edit preview on iPad Pro—you can see the sky in Lr was correct in blue, the exported AVIF viewed on the same iPad Pro showed a lot of cyan.

Note: The attached file is the photo I took of my iPad Pro: on the left is the AVIF exported from Lr, viewed using the Photos app; on the right is the edit preview in Lr. They were displayed on the iPad simultaneously in HDR mode using iPad's Stage Manager multiple task feature.

Originally I thought it was an Adobe Lr export issue. But I later viewed the exported AVIF in Lr for iPad, and everything looked alright. So I suspected there were rendering issues with the Photos app.

I want to raise the awareness of this issue since HDR exporting in Lightroom is fairly new. I hope everyone can view the amazing HDR photos on Apple devices with perfect rendering. Thanks.

iPhone 15

Posted on Nov 11, 2023 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2024 10:32 PM

This is still an issue -- is there any way to reliably share HDR images from Lightroom using mac/ios?

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 29, 2023 8:15 PM in response to mattie172

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Chrome browser officially supports AVIF, while the entire Apple ecosystem is not ready yet. At the moment, if I send an AVIF photo via iMessage, it's sent as a file, and the recipient can't open it in the latest iOS.

Glad to hear Chrome renders consistently as Lightroom does. Let's hope Apple can iron out this issue sooner.

May 16, 2024 9:08 AM in response to Catalium

I am doing the same thing. Exporting HDR AVIF from Lightroom. What I found is that the HDR photo would only display properly on the first device that I import it to, but would have the same issue as you if the photo is downloaded via iCloud from another device that the photo was initially imported to.

For example, if the AVIF was first AirDroped to my iPhone or iPad for import into the Photos app, the photo would display properly on it. But If I simply load it into my Mac’s Photos app, then it would only show correctly on my Mac, but not my iPhone or iPad.

AVIF HDR photos exported from Lightroom not rendered correctly on iPad Pro/iPhone XDR displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.