Earbuds are too loud on lowest volume setting

I have an iPad Air, 5th Gen, running iOS 17.0.3. Using Apple’s earbuds, wired. The sound level is too loud even when I have it as low as possible without muting it. Is there somewhere that I can set the decibel range or something?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 9:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2024 1:40 AM

No, none of that causes an improvement. In fact, doing the exact opposite caused a minute improvement (reduction) in volume. Respectfully, Apple needs to address this issue as soon as possible before someone accidentally gives themselves permanent hearing damage.

Turn off “Reduce Loud Audio” and “Sound Check”, they cause volume spikes currently and have actually created a volume minimum that I cannot go below.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2024 1:40 AM in response to LotusPilot

No, none of that causes an improvement. In fact, doing the exact opposite caused a minute improvement (reduction) in volume. Respectfully, Apple needs to address this issue as soon as possible before someone accidentally gives themselves permanent hearing damage.

Turn off “Reduce Loud Audio” and “Sound Check”, they cause volume spikes currently and have actually created a volume minimum that I cannot go below.

Mar 26, 2024 12:51 AM in response to FumblingAlong

I have had the same problem, I recently bought some new earbuds and they were way too loud. I found a fix however it’s more of a work around.

i know this post is kind of long but bare with me, i think it can help a lot of people.

this fix essentially controls how much sound goes into each earbud for example it will lower the sound in one but increase in another. But we can fix this just wait.

• go to settings < accessibly < audio & visual < scroll down until you see balance

• There will be a slider, play around with it for the left and the right, play some music see how it sounds in one ear (don’t worry if it’s too loud in the other one) once you have found what works for you move one

• then download these two shortcuts

RIGHT VOLUME

LEFT VOLUME

• these shortcuts will tell the phone to switch form making the right louder and making the left louder

• Now open the shortcuts app there you will see the two shortcuts, LEFT VOLUME & RIGHT VOLUME. remember earlier when you were playing around with the slider, find the number you like for me it was 0.60 then go to the “RIGHT VOLUME” shortcut and edit it there you will see the VALUE tap it and enter the number you liked best, then do the same thing for the “LEFT VOLUME” shortcut.

• final step (good job for making it)

Add a widget to your side screen with these two shortcuts, when you take out your right earbud tap the RIGHTVOLUME shortcut and when your right earbud runs out of battery take out the left one and tap the LEFT VOLUME shortcut.

• again this is a workaround but it’s the best thing I found, if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to ask! Hope this helps :)

Feb 28, 2024 8:29 AM in response to LotusPilot

Still way too loud. I, too, turned this setting off and found a tiny improvement, but I have to have my wireless earbuds hanging out of my ears (at risk of falling out) in order to not be deafened. I'm already middle-aged and would like to not lose my hearing as a senior, like many in my family have, so am frustrated, amazed, and annoyed that this is a problem.

Feb 28, 2024 8:33 AM in response to KiAnBa

KiAnBa wrote:

Still way too loud. I, too, turned this setting off and found a tiny improvement, but I have to have my wireless earbuds hanging out of my ears (at risk of falling out) in order to not be deafened. I'm already middle-aged and would like to not lose my hearing as a senior, like many in my family have, so am frustrated, amazed, and annoyed that this is a problem.

You might be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page.

Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Nov 14, 2023 1:51 AM in response to FumblingAlong

First, if your iPad is currently running iPadOS 7.0.3, you should update to the most recent version - at time of writing, this being iPadOS 17.1.1. This version includes both functional fixes and essential security updates for your iPad.

As for limiting your Earbuds volume, perhaps you refer to Headphone Safety settings:

Settings > Sounds > [Headphone Audio] Headphone Safety

Earbuds are too loud on lowest volume setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.