Apple TV Remote started interfering Sony TV

I plugged my Apple TV remote in for the first time in many months (maybe 6). I don't use the apple TV or remote much (mostly to cast screens to the TV and occasionally watch apple tv+ content). After it charged for a couple of hours we noticed that the TV started shutting off. After 8 hours of diagnosing, including wiping the TV back to factory defaults, and moving the TV to different locations we identified that the apple TV 4K remote was sending IR to the Sony TV. If we covered the IR on the front of the Apple remote control the TV issues stopped. We can see this cause the TV has a light that flashed whenever you press a button on the remote. This light was flashing almost constantly with the remote in the room. If a take the apple remote out of the room or put my finger in the front covering the "black" area at the top, this flashing stops and the TV goes back to normal.

TV - Sony XBR65A1E, Android TV 9

Apple TV 4K

Like I said if I cover the remote or move it to another room these issues go away.

Posted on Nov 21, 2023 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2023 9:37 AM

I found instructions online to “reboot” the remote. After doing this it is now all working fine. Having updated the TV, the apple TV, and remote, all is now working. Best part is I can now use the Sony remote to control the apple TV.

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 31, 2024 10:18 PM in response to CH_Regina

My Sony TV kept shutting off as soon as it was turned on. I thought it may be an HDMI digital "tug of war" between the TV and the Apple TV, or a bad HDMI cable. However, when I would cover my Apple TV remote it would stop doing this, so it really pointed to the Apple TV remote being the problem. After seeing lots of replies on several similar questions, I tried updating firmware and software on TV and Apple TV, as well as charging the remote. Nothing improved. The rebooting of the Apple TV remote was the thing that fixed it for me. Simply holding down the screen button and the Volume Down button at the same time for 5 seconds will trigger the reset of the remote.

Dec 30, 2023 8:05 AM in response to CH_Regina

I started having the same exact issue this morning. After calling Sony to figure out why my TV had gone into "Safe Mode" we finally trouble shooted it's the Apple TV remote. Like everyone else if I cover the black plastic at the top of the remote or take the remote to another room then the TV works fine. I guess I will be contacting Apple next to see if there is a fix. Very frustrating since we have been using this Apple TV box and remote on our Sony TV (SONY XR-75X90CK) since June 2023 with no issues until today.

Mar 9, 2024 11:45 AM in response to CH_Regina

Whatever Apple did in this last AppleTV update seems to have annihilated several people's remotes, all of mine worked fine before the update. I then tried to add the remote and reprogram the buttons, but now I find going back causes a weird double-push that sends me out of the app. I even had it try to purchase a movie because it was doing something weird in the background when I went into TV settings. What did you do Apple????

Nov 27, 2023 5:49 AM in response to CH_Regina

One thing I might point out is the interaction between devices connected with an HDMI cable. I just got a new system and I am still trying to work out exactly what can turn on or off those new devices, including an AVR.

If you currently have the HDMI plugged into an ARC or eARC connection, you might try changing it to a 4K HDMI connection.

So, my remote is changing audio on the TV, but it has not yet caused any issues such as causing a TV to turn off.

Mar 9, 2024 9:17 AM in response to Rossphile

Oh wow!! Thanks so much for this! Resetting the AppleTV remote fixed the issue.

My Sharp TV started changing volume by itself and the Sharp remote was no longer responding when the AppleTV remote was in front of the TV.

I removed every single device in the room, including the AppleTV itself but as long as the AppleTV remote was there, the issue was present. I even changed the batteries in the Sharp remote.

If I hid the AppleTV remote behind me, then everything would be fine and the Sharp remote would work just fine. As soon as I brought the AppleTV remote back in front of me, the Sharp remote would immediately cease working.

Thanks again!

Nov 27, 2023 5:28 AM in response to CH_Regina

I had the exact same issue with my ATV 4K and Sony Bravia. Except my tv key muting and unmuting. The IR on the Apple TV remote kept causing it to do so, and the sony tv light was flashing all the time until o moved the remote away. Highly bizarre but I also reset tv to factory settings and did all the updates etc…it’s clearly the ATV remote

Apple TV Remote started interfering Sony TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.