Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

What is the best macbook pro M3 Pro for video editing

Hello.

I'm thinking of buying a MacBook Pro M3 Pro.

I'm a graphic designer, using a rather old MacBook Air model... and I really need a good computer for video editing and to continue using Adobe's softwares (Photoshop, Illustrator, inDesign)... and also, Adobe's AfterEffects. Also, because I travel a lot, I really need it to be a laptop.

I was wondering - and I accept any suggestions!! - what would be the best Processor and RAM configuration? If I could choose only one update, which one would be the best choice? I'm afraid of buying a 'basic' configuration model and not purchasing the right equipment for what I need.

Thank you for any suggestions that you may provide me.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 12:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 5:57 AM

Video editing tends to place heavy demands on RAM and storage space.

You can't expand RAM or internal storage space after purchase – but you can add external storage space – and some external SSDs are very small and portable. If it comes down to a choice between skimping on RAM, and skimping on internal storage, skimp on internal storage.

Note that Apple is selling the M3-series MacBook Pros with three different levels of processor chip:

• 'Base' M3 chip (14" models only) – The entry-level models with this chip only have two USB-C (TB) ports, and can only drive one external monitor. But they still have the HDMI port, SDXC slot, and mini-LED-backlit screen.
  • M3 Pro chip.
  • M3 Max chip.

If you think you're ever going to want to drive two external monitors, you want a M3 Pro or M3 Max chip.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2023 5:57 AM in response to JMPC

Video editing tends to place heavy demands on RAM and storage space.

You can't expand RAM or internal storage space after purchase – but you can add external storage space – and some external SSDs are very small and portable. If it comes down to a choice between skimping on RAM, and skimping on internal storage, skimp on internal storage.

Note that Apple is selling the M3-series MacBook Pros with three different levels of processor chip:

• 'Base' M3 chip (14" models only) – The entry-level models with this chip only have two USB-C (TB) ports, and can only drive one external monitor. But they still have the HDMI port, SDXC slot, and mini-LED-backlit screen.
  • M3 Pro chip.
  • M3 Max chip.

If you think you're ever going to want to drive two external monitors, you want a M3 Pro or M3 Max chip.

What is the best macbook pro M3 Pro for video editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.