Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

When will Texas be able to use the Apple wallet drivers license?

I love my Apple wallet and there’s a drivers license ability to add your own card, but only 4 states are able to and California and Texas aren’t one of them. When will Texas be able to add their license?

Posted on Dec 10, 2023 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2023 5:49 AM

According to data compiled by the Secure Technology Alliance, nearly 30 states are in the process of adopting mobile digital licenses.

While this doesn’t necessarily mean they will go on to support Apple Wallet’s implementation of the feature, it means they are exploring the idea.

Here’s the full list of those states: 

• Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa 
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Wyoming
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2023 5:49 AM in response to sharpsuiter

According to data compiled by the Secure Technology Alliance, nearly 30 states are in the process of adopting mobile digital licenses.

While this doesn’t necessarily mean they will go on to support Apple Wallet’s implementation of the feature, it means they are exploring the idea.

Here’s the full list of those states: 

• Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa 
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Wyoming

Apr 2, 2024 9:54 AM in response to EclecticAgent

Many (most?) people are assuming facts that aren’t in evidence. They are expecting the digital version to replace the plastic version. Currently the only Federal Agency accepting a digital ID is TSA. Even the 4 states that have adopted Apple ID (Arizona, Colorado, Georgia and Maryland) are not substituting the digital ID for state issued drivers licenses or ID’s. This is currently a TSA only approved ID form. Even at that only a handful of airports are equipped with the technology to use the ID. I would guess we’re a decade away from any wide adoption.

Dec 10, 2023 5:31 AM in response to Katana-San

I agree. I just think it’s weird that after so long, they still only have 4 states. I’ve been checking back every once in a while over the last several years. Even if they added more states, even if they weren’t mine, I would feel like there was progress. Maybe there are laws or something that prevents it. I just wanted to know if they are actively working on getting more states added.

Apr 2, 2024 9:43 AM in response to sharpsuiter

The group that worked to develop the digital driver’s license (DDL) standard didn’t pay nearly enough attention to solutioning for how DDLs would be used alongside legacy (i.e., plastic) IDs.

Think about a club bouncer dealing with a line of people, checking plastic IDs … then, some dude whips out his DDL — does anyone legitimately expect the bouncer to get his phone out of his pocket to verify the DDL?

When thinking about new tech, it’s such a common trap to forget that 95%+ of people don’t care at all about the new thing and will keep using the old thing unless it’s no incremental effort.

Apple Pay is amazingly easy to use and, despite that, it took a decade for many people / stores to use / support it.

Total failure on the behalf of the AAMVA and/or lack of federal leadership.

When will Texas be able to use the Apple wallet drivers license?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.