Apple Pay update shipping contact

I am trying to make a purchase in the Target App using ApplePay via my iPhone. I keep getting a message that says “update shipping contact”. I’ve followed all the guidance I’ve found.

Settings > Apple ID (your name at the top) > payment & shipping > address - edit as needed

1. Go to settings>Wallet & Apple Pay>transaction defaults>address - update as needed
  2. Go to Wallet app>tap on any card>tap three dots in corner>tap address - edit as needed for all cards
  3. Go to settings>Apple ID (your name at the top)>payment & shipping>address - edit as needed.

I even tried shutting down my phone and restarting. Nothing works.

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 21, 2023 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2023 6:31 AM

I found something that worked for me - I had the same problem: was getting the “update shipping contact” error message when trying to use Apple Pay. Even after I added a shipping address it still gave me the error.

Only after I added both my phone number and email as well did it start working.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2023 6:31 AM in response to morzerer92

I found something that worked for me - I had the same problem: was getting the “update shipping contact” error message when trying to use Apple Pay. Even after I added a shipping address it still gave me the error.

Only after I added both my phone number and email as well did it start working.

Jan 5, 2024 2:32 PM in response to morzerer92

So I was having the same issue, and found this thread on the community forum. Even after removing the Target rewards cash, it was giving me the Update Shipping Contact message, but I was on the shopping cart screen instead of the checkout screen, and there was a space here that asked me to provide my phone number. That wasn’t there when I was in the check out screen on the Target app.

I went back into checkout, added the Target Circle cash, and tried checking out with the same Update Shipping Contact error, no phone number option. I backed out to the previous screen, the Cart screen, and looked over my order. It showed the Target Circle cash this time since I had added it during the Checkout process, and I had an Apple Pay button to the right of Checkout. I clicked Apple Pay instead of Checkout and got the Update Shipping Contact error with an option to add my phone number. Once I selected my phone number, Apple pay went through with the circle cash. So it is possible, just with a convoluted way to get there.

Dec 31, 2023 10:46 AM in response to morzerer92

I’ve found that the only way I can use Apple Pay in the Target app is to NOT try to use my Target rewards, i.e. $10 or $15 gift cards for purchasing items Target gives rewards for, like Woolite and Tide laundry detergent. I even chatted with a customer service rep and he apologized but could not fix my issue. I just purchased without using the rewards that Target gave me for shopping at Target …. seems like they freely give them, but don’t actually want you to use them! Once I deleted the rewards from my cart, my Apple Pay worked just fine. Instead of spending $44 on my cart, I had to complete the order without the gift cards, making it $69 instead. Which honestly sucks.

Mar 9, 2024 4:48 AM in response to morzerer92

Same thing happened. I use Apple Pay on Target app. Weekly. Suddenly needed shipping info. For a pickup order. Did ALL the things. Nothing. Went online. Logged in to Target. Clicked Apple Pay there. Worked. But I deleted the app and went to bring it back. Would not allow Apple Pay as an option though it clearly states it. Grrr. I honestly hate buying from companies that don’t have an Apple Pay option. I don’t want to enter cc every time nor do I want every company having cc on file. Get with the times.

Apr 1, 2024 4:23 PM in response to morzerer92

So this was happening to me as well in the app when I would combine my gift card + target circle. I was trying to place the order for drive up on the app but I kept getting “update shipping contact” no matter what I did it still did not work. The only way I could use Apple pay with my gift card + target circle is if I payed with Apple Pay on target.com

Apr 30, 2024 6:02 AM in response to morzerer92

SOLVED

So, I had the same issues as all above, I suspected that Apple in it's recent OSX update coded the address fields wrong and in my case that looks to be correct.

Apple Wallet REQUIRES you to enter something into the "Apt or Suite (optional)" field even though it is clearly OPTIONAL.

I simply added a "." in that field and then all apple pay transactions processed from there.

Come on Apple, seriously?

Apple Pay update shipping contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.