AIR TAGS WON’T TRANSFER TO NEW IPHONE

i got a new iPhone but my air tags didn’t transfer over so I deleted them from my old phone and tried to set it up again and it said Sign in with Apple ID even though I was already signed in. I signed out of Apple ID on old phone.

I than checked that find my was on in iCloud settings and restarted my new phone and i was able to activate the air tag again .

iPhone X, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 6, 2024 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2024 8:51 AM

I have done all these things but I am getting the message that my iPhone is searching for the airbag "pull tab on airbag and bring it near this iPhone to start". These are not new airtags. I had two before attached to my iPhone 12. Upgraded yesterday to iPhone 15 pro. The Find Me has everything else listed - my phone, laptop and iMac, and fiancé's phone. But not my airbags. and it wants me to pull a tab. Any ideas on how to get these Airtags to attach? They are not listed on my old phone either. Thanks!

also, I am unable to reset the airtag or change the battery by Pressing down on the polished stainless steel battery cover of the AirTag and rotate counterclockwise until the cover stops rotating. It will not push down or rotate. The batteries were both fine less than a week ago. Any suggestions on how to address the inability to removing the battery cover?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2024 8:51 AM in response to Tesserax

I have done all these things but I am getting the message that my iPhone is searching for the airbag "pull tab on airbag and bring it near this iPhone to start". These are not new airtags. I had two before attached to my iPhone 12. Upgraded yesterday to iPhone 15 pro. The Find Me has everything else listed - my phone, laptop and iMac, and fiancé's phone. But not my airbags. and it wants me to pull a tab. Any ideas on how to get these Airtags to attach? They are not listed on my old phone either. Thanks!

also, I am unable to reset the airtag or change the battery by Pressing down on the polished stainless steel battery cover of the AirTag and rotate counterclockwise until the cover stops rotating. It will not push down or rotate. The batteries were both fine less than a week ago. Any suggestions on how to address the inability to removing the battery cover?

Jan 6, 2024 5:07 PM in response to Pietsch17

Just to be sure:

• Are you posting a solution or still need assistance with this issue?
  • Are you using the same Apple ID on both of these iPhones, or a different one with the new phone?
  • Did you remove these AirTags from the Find My app on your old iPhone BEFORE trying to pair them with your new phone? If you did, did you also reset them BEFORE pairing them?

Apr 2, 2024 1:05 PM in response to Tesserax

I still need this issue solved, however.

• Are you using the same Apple ID on both of these iPhones, or a different one with the new phone?

-Yes, same ID

• Did you remove these AirTags from the Find My app on your old iPhone BEFORE trying to pair them with your new phone? If you did, did you also reset them BEFORE pairing them?

-No, phone was lost, cannot remove.

Apr 2, 2024 7:26 PM in response to Ray1111

If the iPhone you initially paired an AirTag with is no longer "available," you should be able to use your new iPhone with the same Apple ID to connect and manage that AirTag. That new iPhone must also be set up as a "trusted" device as part of 2FA for your Apple ID.

To double-check, that you didn't miss something, here are the steps:

1. On the new iPhone, launch the "Find My" app.
  2. Tap on the "Items" tab: In the "Find My" app, select the "Items" tab at the bottom of the screen.
  3. Press the "Add Item" button, and then choose "Add AirTag." Follow the on-screen instructions to pair the AirTag with your new iPhone.
  4. You'll be prompted to sign in with the Apple ID associated with the AirTag. Ensure it's the same Apple ID that was used when you first set up the AirTag.
  5. Follow the remaining steps to complete the setup process.

AIR TAGS WON’T TRANSFER TO NEW IPHONE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.