network time machine backups failing since sonoma unless done manually while unlocked

Before upgrading to sonoma, I was able to leave my macbook plugged in and the lid closed and have TM do hourly backups with no issue. Since sonoma, the only way the backup will be successful is to manually click backup and wait for it to complete while keeping the lid open and unlocked. If I start the backup and close the lid, or the screen locks, the backup gets stuck and never completes. If I leave the mac plugged in and the lid closed or screen locked, the backup gets stuck "connecting backup disk" or looking for it. The backup system (a NAS I have used for years) is working fine as I am the only one of 3 that has sonoma who use it for backups and the other machines all function properly and backup regularly without fail.

Steps I have taken was deleting the old backup set and creating a new one and disabling icloud sync.

There has to be an issue with sonoma as that is the only thing that is different from the others and is the only one that is having issues. I have waited for several updates before posting this issue in hopes it was a temporary bug that would have been fixed by now, however, it persists.

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jan 7, 2024 8:10 AM

1 reply

network time machine backups failing since sonoma unless done manually while unlocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.