Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Issues with voice control/dictation in Sonoma OS

I mostly use the voice control feature on my work MacBook Pro due to accessibility needs. It was recently updated to Sonoma OS 14.2, and I have noticed the usability of voice control and dictation has reduced significantly. It now no longer recognises when I say "slash" or "forward slash" that I mean for it to add an actual slash, and eat instead add the words. It also does not recognise command such as "numeral one" to add a numeral, and again add the words that are said. In the previous macOS, these commands worked perfectly. The new version also seems much slower than the previous and I have experienced problems that others have noted, such as dictated text being inserted in the middle of a previously dictated sentence, despite the cursor being at the end of that previous sentence before the text was dictated. Another problem that I had the previous version but that has exacerbated in this new version is that despite my language being selected as "English (Australia)" as I am Australian, I often have to resort to speaking with an American accent to have Voice control what I am saying. This is causing huge problems with my ability to work and is of course a massive accessibility issue. It's really disappointing that not only has the voice control feature gone from being better than competitors on windows to being worse, but that there have been so many complaints about the decrease in quality but no improvement has been made.

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Jan 10, 2024 4:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2024 12:35 PM

I have exactly the same issues using a high spec 2020 MacBook Pro. I recently upgraded the OS and on Catalina it was quite bad, now it’s terrible. It bombs out after a few seconds. I have to keep re-pressing the function key that I have programmed for it. It Randomly pastes text from a previous part into the text or underneath it. There seems to be no rhyme or reason or consistency to what it does.

It stops working really quickly usually and when it does work for a couple of lines, it will suddenly rub half of it out for seemingly no reason. 

It’s rubbish.

Sort it out. It’s a disgrace in these days of AI accessible tools.

Steve Jobs would turn in his grave.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2024 12:35 PM in response to CoffeeAddictM

I have exactly the same issues using a high spec 2020 MacBook Pro. I recently upgraded the OS and on Catalina it was quite bad, now it’s terrible. It bombs out after a few seconds. I have to keep re-pressing the function key that I have programmed for it. It Randomly pastes text from a previous part into the text or underneath it. There seems to be no rhyme or reason or consistency to what it does.

It stops working really quickly usually and when it does work for a couple of lines, it will suddenly rub half of it out for seemingly no reason. 

It’s rubbish.

Sort it out. It’s a disgrace in these days of AI accessible tools.

Steve Jobs would turn in his grave.

Jan 16, 2024 9:49 PM in response to CoffeeAddictM

Hi, and welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: Issues with voice control/dictation in Sonoma OS

Commiserations on the difficulties you are experiencing, and have shared here with the community .

Am no expert in this area, yet your post surely deserves some response.

Wondering if you have checked out the latest articles on using Voice Control in Sonoma: maybe they can help.

Eg: Use Voice Control commands to interact with your Mac - Apple Support

Customise Voice Control on Mac

Use a custom vocabulary with Voice Control on Mac

If Dictation on Mac doesn’t work as expected

__________________________________________________________________________________________

If you wish: You can also send feedback to Apple, to reach those who work behind-the-scenes at Apple.

They will likely not reply, yet your feedback will reach those who can make changes.

If others are also sending feedback, it may help provide an overview for the different Mac models.

Web-form: MacBook Pro feedback: Feedback - MacBook Pro - Apple /

Any other Macs: See Product Feedback - Apple

More support if needed: Apple's "Accessibility Support" Website : info / support / contact options etc:

(NB: You can "Get Support" from the link at the bottom of their website:)

Accessibility Support - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Apr 21, 2024 5:52 AM in response to CoffeeAddictM

I noticed your question and there's no other replies or answers this issue has been going on for a very long time in Sonoma is not helping it mine deletes what I just typed it won't turn off when you turn it off there's many others capitalizing it or put the same thing twice did you get an answer I wiped my Mac and reinstalled my stuff does the exact same thing so and there's a lot of people these issues it's not the computer and I don't think it's us and we have the same model and processing chip I'm just trying to get this I'm so tired of trying to fix it I just stop using my lapt the dictation quality that it gets from the iPhone when you speak is so bad I'm running out of options at this point there's so many glitches sometimes I'm I'd like to get a different kind of computer or different company and that's a shame because I stay with Apple long time because they're so reliable but the last couple years of just been to you just you spend more time fixing stuff and getting it to work right then you do getting to use it I'm sorry for the thing I'm just curious there's not many recent post about this

May 1, 2024 4:28 PM in response to Danovf14

Hi Danovf14. Thank you joining the discussion.

Re: "mine deletes what I just typed

it won't turn off when you turn it off

there's many others capitalizing it or put the same thing twice"

As well the links provided to help and support given above: you may also want to send feedback:

To provide feedback about an accessibility feature on an Apple product, email the Accessibility team: accessibility@apple.com.

May 7, 2024 4:40 PM in response to DCMacfan

Hi DCMacfan

Welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community, and thank you or joining this discussion

Re: 2020 MacBook Pro : bombs out after a few seconds.

If your Mac is not working as expected, you can try re-starting it. (Apple Menu > Restart) and log back in.

(Deletes temporary files, re-establishes connections, may update recent setting changes, and often restores order when something is not working).

Also check you are not so short on memory / storage space that Mac has to struggle to carry out the tasks you give it to do. Eg: A Mac generally needs at least 8Gb free in order to operate smoothly.

Eg: See: System Settings > General > Storage

If you have any virus-checkers, cleaners and the like, VPN etc, installed try turning them off, or uninstall using the uninstallers available from their developers. Older non-Apple (third-party) software that is no longer compatible with the newer MacOS versions can also cause issues ... update, turn off, or uninstall.

Re: Issues with voice control/dictation in Sonoma OS : I have exactly the same issues

There are links above to MacOS Sonoma articles that may help you regain control when using dictation. Try browsing them for Apple's latest updated methods. Eg: Seems there are now commands, like "dictation mode" "spelling mode" and "command mode" to use in order to obtain correct results ... if you are not already using them, the finer points are given in the above articles.

Eg: "Spelling mode" is helpful when you need to enter a password, a web address or another sequence of characters that wouldn’t be recognised as a word in Dictation mode

"Command mode" is helpful when you need to say a series of commands and don’t want them inadvertently entered in a text input area.

Re: Sort it out.

We are all Apple users, like yourself, in this community. No-one here can make changes to Apple's software. (Am no expert in this area; some of us are volunteering our time and suggestions in order to assist each other with answers to questions or suggestions to help solve issues.)

You can send feedback to Apple, (eg: using the link given earlier in this discussion), if you want to see changes to Macs, devices, or software. They will likely not reply, yet your feedback will be read by those. who can make changes if others are also requesting them.

If more help / info / support is needed:

Links for help with Accessibity features by Apple's Accessibility Team, are given at the top

All the best :-)

Issues with voice control/dictation in Sonoma OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.