My download of Apple watchOS 10.4 STOPPED during "preparing" and won't advance.

Download of apple watch 10.4 STOPPED during Preparing and won't advance. It is STUCK. What can I do? Can I cancel and start over?

iPhone has latest software. Watch is a Series 10XR

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 5

Posted on Mar 7, 2024 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2024 10:39 AM

Having the same problem described above except my phone is an Apple 13 ProMax. Stops during "preparing" about 60% Have updated before with NO problem. How do I complete the download to install IOS 10.4 on my Apple watch? Please advise

148 replies

Mar 15, 2024 1:13 PM in response to BrauKnabe

Follow these steps.

1. Go into your iPhone’s Watch app.
  2. Go to General
  3. Scroll down and tap on Storage
  4. If the 10.4 update shows there, tap on it and delete it.
  5. Start the update process again.

I've tried many others over the past week and have just seen a "lack-of-progress" bar and no joy. I followed *these* most excellent steps and I have joy, and 10.4 on my watch. Many thanks to the Bionic Golfer for posting them!

Apr 11, 2024 3:51 PM in response to BrauKnabe

I tried this method multiple times. I have a Iphone 12 Pro Max- Watch is 7 with wifi. It will not update. I have deleted the storage several times. Tried hard resets. Watch 100% charged and on the charger as well as Iphone. I give up.

The last 2 days, the watch dies quickly as if it is trying to update and can't. Very frustrating.

Mar 9, 2024 1:03 PM in response to poul96

To Everyone who is having trouble with the download of Watch OS 10.4:

Apple Support states:

"Updating to watchOS 10 requires iPhone XS or later with iOS 17."

This is WRONG.

You can use several iPhone series to download Watch OS 10.4, not just iPhone Series XS.

I did it with iPhone Series XR. Others did it with Series 8 and other series.

Just RESTART (Turn OFF and then ON) your iPhone and Apple Watch.

Then use your iPhone to start the download, then put your watch on its charger.

It takes a LONG time and will APPEAR to get stuck on "Preparing the download"

Just leave it alone and let it finish the "Preparing".

Leave the room where the watch is being updated. Do NOT watch it.

It takes about 1.5 to 2 hours.

During this time the sliding horizontal bar on the iPhone does NOT MOVE.

Come back after 2 hours and it will be updated. If the watch face is dark, just touch it.

Hope this helps everyone with this problem.

Tom

Mar 14, 2024 11:01 AM in response to tomac14

After I deleted the update on my iPhone in the Apple Watch app and rebooted it took about 45 minutes for the progress bar to move. It’s nearing the end. I would say just start it and don’t watch the Apple Watch update screen. By reading this forum three pages it jumped from 60% preparing to 85% preparing. Good luck and total BS we have this update troubles for what we have paid for these devices. iPhone 15pro max and Apple Watch series Ultra 2.

Mar 10, 2024 10:09 AM in response to Rmann9

If you have dowloaded the software update OS 10.4, but did not install it, below is how to delete it.

Open the watch App on your iPhone.

Then tap on General.

Then scroll down to the word STORAGE and tap on it.

If you find the download Watch OS 10.4, Delete it. Do NOT delete the current OS.

Then start the download again AFTER first turning OFF and then Turning on the iPhone and watch.

The download is fairly quick, but the "Preparing" is very, very long. Don't watch it.

Just leave the watch and iPhone for about 1.5 to 2 hours.

Then come back and it should be done.

If no display on the watch, just touch the screen.

Hope this helps

Mar 10, 2024 6:12 AM in response to tomac14

I was having the exact same problem, stuck at preparing. Decided to check the phone/watch connection by downloading a new watch face... successfully. This action also seemed to unstick the update process which began to progress again immediately afterward. Maybe a coincidence but it sure didn't seem like it.

Mar 13, 2024 12:01 PM in response to tomac14

From searching the web I came across what may be a solution. I don’t remember who/where. It may have been Reddit, so thank you to the person that suggested it.

1. Go into your iPhone’s Watch app.
  2. Go to General
  3. Scroll down and tap on Storage
  4. If the 10.4 update shows there, tap on it and delete it.
  5. Start the update process again.

hope it works for you.

Mar 10, 2024 11:52 AM in response to tomac14

Same problem for me. It doesn’t help that the initial download is taking an extreme amount of time. It doesn’t take two hours to download 758mb on my Internet.

No amount of restarting either the watch or my iPhone has kicked it into doing anything any faster.

I have tried starting the update from my iPhone and directly from the watch, neither is any faster.

Leaving the watch for two or more hours isn’t a helpful suggestion as this interferes with actually using the watch and when people have rings to fill and streaks to maintain.

Mar 14, 2024 8:17 AM in response to GaryNewitt

This forum has a number of good suggestions for how to download Watch OS 10.4.

However, if none of these work for you, please let Apple know because this is an Apple problem.

Go to >> apple.com/feedback and leave a description of your problem.

Apple needs to know they have a problem for them to fix it.

I suggest you list it as an iPhone problem, not as a Watch problem.

Apple really needs to know about this problem.

And you can help by reporting this problem to Apple.

The more problem reports Apple gets, the more likely they are to fix it.

My download of Apple watchOS 10.4 STOPPED during "preparing" and won't advance.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.