How to fix the disk space error when importing photos on Sonoma 14.4?

My Photo libraries are on an external disk. After upgrading to Sonoma 14.4, I am unable to import photos to any of my libraries. I get this error message: "There was an error attempting to free up disk space for import." although I have ample space on my 2TB LaCie external drive.

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Mar 8, 2024 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2024 8:38 AM

I have to admit that if this true, I am furious. I've used an external drive to store 'photos' libraries for more than 10 years and have never been told of the corruption issue concerning ex-Fat. The inconvenience of reformatting is massive and unforgivable.

Similar questions

22 replies

Jun 1, 2024 12:59 PM in response to otmy

My external disk is APFS formatted, has been since I set it up last year, and I'm having this problem when attempting to import both JPG and PNG images, though I haven't tried any other formats. Sonoma 14.5, M1 Air 2020.

So no, it's not an exFAT matter, or not exclusively an exFAT matter.

However, the disk is also encrypted via the standard macOS tools in Disk Utility (password required on disk mount), and it's been partitioned to do 50/50 duty as a Time Machine volume, so it is arguably no longer a plain-vanilla APFS volume.

If the only way to get a photos library to function properly on an external volume is to disable its macOS-provided encryption, or to use only unpartitioned media, this is a matter that Apple needs to address.

I have not attempted reformatting, nor do I intend to. Apple isn't Microsoft. The solution is not "format and reinstall".

May 23, 2024 2:34 PM in response to otmy

Problem solved, but it wasn't easy.

1. Copied my Photo Library file to another external drive.
  2. Reformatted original external drive to APFS using "Erase" in Disk Utility
  3. Copied Photo Library back to original external drive.
  4. Started Phots app by selecting Photo Library file. The computer took several hours to Restore the file. It seemed to have needed to do it twice
  5. Yah, now it works. Obviously you can skip step one if you have a new external hard drive to spare.

Back story details:

I've been using the same external hard drive for years without problem and had ample space. Got errors below depending on how I tried to import:

• via iPhone; no error message but does nothing when importing
  • via local file folder; says it does not recognize the format

I tried using the "First Aid function in Disk Utility. I needed to restart the computer as it was not able to unmount. Eventually it did its thing and actually fixed the errors (I'm assuming every time I tried to do an import and error was created), but this did not enable me to do imports.

May 16, 2024 9:22 PM in response to Hans1Steven

Hans1Steven wrote:

I have to admit that if this true, I am furious. I've used an external drive to store 'photos' libraries for more than 10 years and have never been told of the corruption issue concerning ex-Fat. The inconvenience of reformatting is massive and unforgivable.

"Unforgivable?" Apple documents clearly its requirement to format an external drive properly for Photos libraries:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

"Prepare your storage device

Make sure that your external storage device, such as a USB drive or Thunderbolt drive, is formatted for Mac: either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format."

Jun 1, 2024 2:13 PM in response to WarrenO

Photos was not intended to to be super-secure. There are little dabs of security, but it is not an app that provides full security by any means. The primary security source is the computer login. While it doesn't seem to be expressly documented, experience indicates that a Photos Library cannot be used with an encrypted volume. You can see this:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

which explicitly states "either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format."

Photos constantly accesses the Photos Library in the background, and it's probable that encryption makes that impossible.

If you need your pictures to be encrypted, then the Photos app may not be your best choice.

Apr 8, 2024 11:09 AM in response to Hans1Steven

Perhaps your setup (machine+OS+external drive) works with ExFat. In my case, it definitely was the issue with that. APFS now even shows free space, as compared to previously taking a very long time to display that info. I also had issues where the external drive would simply not show up on Finder upon startup. That problem has also disappeared.

Transfer/reformat/retransfer of files took 4 days as I had to use multiple older less capacity hard drives for this exercise. Totally worth it given how it all works seamlessly now. All the best!

May 13, 2024 7:17 AM in response to otmy

I am having a similar issue, but I don't get an error message or any other notification when I try to import. I click "Import All New Items" and then it goes to recent imports screen and nothing happens. No progress circle, or anything else. Nothing imports. My disk is a SanDisk Portable SSD with plenty of space. I'm using Photos Version 9.0 (646.2.101) on Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224). Everything is up to date, to my knowledge. The disk works fine for viewing and editing photos, just not importing. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

May 13, 2024 7:21 AM in response to MacMacMacintosh

MacMacMacintosh wrote: Same here. Sonoma 14.4. external HDD in APFS format. Library size is about 700 GB.

It's really hard to figure out what you mean by "Same here" The original poster's problem was that his external drive was formatted in ExFat, but you say that yours is APFS, so this is not the same, at all.

Perhaps you should start a new post and describe what's going on with enough detail that someone can hlep.

How to fix the disk space error when importing photos on Sonoma 14.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.