Apple Studio Display disconnects from MacBook Pro every few seconds.

It works fine with MacBook Air (connected 2 different MacBook Airs to it). So I think that eliminate the cable from being the issue. I also tried and older intel MacBook pro and it does the same thing as the m1.

I plug the thunderbolt cable into the usb-c slot, and the Mac beeps, the display comes on (and I see it start to charge, then the screen goes blank.). A couple of seconds later, the Mac beeps, the display comes on (and I see it start to charge, then the screen goes blank.). Rinse repeat.

It was working fine over a year then it cropped up a few weeks ago. Then it started working. Now it's not. This happens on all USB-C slots on the Mac.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 2:47 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 4, 2024 4:45 PM in response to jmellz

I tried everything. I finally made an appointment with the Genius Bar.

the tech plugged in their MacBook Pro and the issue didn’t occur. She ran diagnostics and no issues found. She did a “revive” anyway to be on the safe side.

the only thing I could think of was the power socket. I didn’t try a different one at my house (just unplugged from the power strip and into the wall).

When I got home I did plug it into a different socket and it worked fine. I then plugged it back into the original socket and it worked fine. Really odd.

before 3 different MacBook pros didn’t work with it. MacBook airs did. No all is good (at least for now).

Really odd. No charge for the Genius Bar visit.

good luck.

May 3, 2024 1:39 AM in response to Redbob

I can reproduce that by using a non-Apple USB-C charge cable from another device. In this case from a DeWalt hammer drill. Turns out that not all USB-C cables are alike. They are finicky beasts and charge cables are nothing like data cables in terms of performance. The price between the two is a clue it turns out, even though the both have a USB-C connector.

So i get my MBPRO cycling as you describe with the DeWalt cable, but all back to normal when i use a genuine Apple cable. Bit of googling will uncover some YouTube stuff on the topic. Im no MythBuster - just reporting what my experience was. Dont forget these cables cop a hammering by being disconnected, bent, strained and fumbled with many times a day. If a single aspect of the cable was to go out of spec - such as dust / corrosion / bent / and your MBPRO decided it was a non-genuine cable .... This was my experience and I hope the info helps.

Best of luck.

Apple Studio Display disconnects from MacBook Pro every few seconds.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.