Apple Watch Battery Drain after updating to 10.4

I updated to watchOS 10.4 and the following day, I started experiencing pretty extreme battery drain issues.

My typical charging schedule is:

• Charge to full before bed.
  • Battery will be about 88-90% by morning. Charge it to full again first thing in the morning, which usually takes 10-15 minutes.
  • Put the watch back on and exercise. Even if I exercise for an hour plus, it'll usually only be drained down to low 90s or high 80s.
  • Wear the watch the rest of the day and don't charge until nighttime. It'll usually be in the 40-55% range by the end of the day.

After updating to 10.4, everything seemed fine for the day. The following morning, I charged to 100% and put it on to exercise. After only 35 minutes, I got a low battery warning. It had gone from 100% to 10% in under an hour.

I charged several times throughout the day, but the battery did seem to be draining quicker and taking much longer to charge. I've checked the different chargers I use and they're each in working order, but sometimes the watch isn't even charging unless I take it off and put it back on again.

I've restarted the watch several times and just unpaired and re-paired with my phone. Is anyone else experiencing issues and is there anything else that can be done if the new pairing doesn't work?

Apple Watch Series 9, watchOS 10

Posted on Mar 31, 2024 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2024 1:57 PM

My watch is 6 months old (Series 9.) The battery would last at least two days. After updating to Watch OS 10.4 it drains down to nothing in less than one day. So infuriating.

Similar questions

27 replies

May 17, 2024 7:02 AM in response to PB88_

Apple will never respond to anything here. This is a user to user forum. If you want a response to an issue from an Apple representative, contact them.

For what it's worth, I was having issues with battery health (even with the latest 10.5). I unpaired and set up my Series 8 as new (not from a backup). It's so much better now. I usually put it on at about 5:00 am and take it off at 9:00 pm and the battery is still at about 50%. This includes 60-90 minutes of Workout with downloaded music playing thru the watch. You might want to try resetting it as new.

May 17, 2024 10:54 AM in response to PB88_

PB88_ wrote:

As I said down thread, if Apple does not monitor this forum even more shame on them.

Apple provides lots of free ways to report issues to them:

• Feedback - Watch - Apple
  • Telephone support
  • messaging support
  • genius bar support
  • bug reporting via a free Apple developer account.

The discussions.apple.com forums have the 1,000’s of messages per day. And many of them are poorly formed posts, lacking detailed information.

Where as the customer support can interact and in realtime get those details.

discussions.apple.com is for users to talk among themselves. And we do.

Apple Watch Battery Drain after updating to 10.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.