MacBook Pro M2 - Mic input's level is not working (the mic is, but too low)

As you can see in the video, I cannot set the mic's level; it is always too low.

To make it work again, I need to restart my Mac, which is annoying if one has different meetings throughout the day.

Video: https://youtube.com/shorts/6lLIiWVZFpw

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 10, 2024 12:57 AM

8 replies

Apr 22, 2024 11:51 AM in response to ChocoPaulo

"MacBook Pro M2 - Mic input's level is not working (the mic is, but too low): I have noticed, that after using Google Meet in Safari, the browser keeps using the mic. No matter if the window (tab) is already closed. This prevents setting the volume up and down for any other application, and one needs to quit Safari and open it once again to make the mic work again.

———-

So, did you try anything I mentioned in my previous reply?

If nothing worked, you’ll have to perform the following:

Reinstall the macOS:

Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple SupportImportant: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more.

Apr 11, 2024 11:14 PM in response to ChocoPaulo

"MacBook Pro M2 - Mic input's level is not working (the mic is, but too low): As you can see in the video, I cannot set the mic's level; it is always too low. To make it work again, I need to restart my Mac, which is annoying if one has different meetings throughout the day. Video: https://youtube.com/shorts/6lLIiWVZFpw Thanks!"

-------

Troubleshooting iPhone Microphone:

A Few Links that May Help:

Apr 12, 2024 7:15 PM in response to ChocoPaulo

ChocoPaulo Said:

"The problem is not on an iPhone. It is on a MacBook Pro M2. Thanks"

-------

You are welcome.

Troubleshoot the Mac Microphone:

What to Try:

• Unmute the App:

If an app has its own audio input settings, then perform the on the app itself.

• Remove External Devices:

Verify what your output item is.

• Disable Bluetooth:

If there are any microphones nearby, then they may be getting in the way via bluetooth.

See if an app is permitted to use your microphone.

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Sound) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.  (Applies to Anted-Based Macs Only)

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with certain settings and caches set aside. Go here: Start Up your Mac in Safe Mode - Apple Support

• Create a New Administrator:

See if creating and logging in as a new administrator does the trick. There may be something misconfigured in your current user - something that is getting in the way. Go to: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Unlock > Click: "+" > Create the new administrator

May 13, 2024 6:03 AM in response to deyansed

deyansed Said:

"This is so true! This problem comes from Google Meet! After using it, my microphone stops working!"

-------

Mac Giving Hardware Issues After an Install:

If the macOS reinstall fixed this, and it is now happening once you opened it afterwards...

What to Try:

• Unmute the App:

If an app has its own audio input settings, then perform the on the app itself.

• Remove External Devices:

Verify what your output item is.

• Disable Bluetooth:

If there are any microphones nearby, then they may be getting in the way via bluetooth.

See if an app is permitted to use your microphone.

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Sound) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.  (Applies to Anted-Based Macs Only)

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with certain settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

• Create a New Administrator:

See if creating and logging in as a new administrator does the trick. There may be something misconfigured in your current user - something that is getting in the way. Go to: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Unlock > Click: "+" > Create the new administrator

MacBook Pro M2 - Mic input's level is not working (the mic is, but too low)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.