I need advice on the best video editing software for Mac

I'm on the hunt for some best video editing software for Mac (macOS Sonoma, M2) and could really use your advice. I want to up my editing skills but need a program that's not too tough to get the hang of. I'm looking for something that's pretty easy to use but still has all the cool features for things like cutting clips, adding effects, and maybe some fancy color grading. If you've got any favorites or tips on what works best, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks a bunch for any suggestions you can throw my way!

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on Apr 13, 2024 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2024 9:52 AM

Once you find yourself growing out of iMovie, the most obvious next choice is Final Cut Pro.

That's US$300, and is not simple to learn, but has a lot of similarities with iMovie to lessen the learning curve.

9 replies

Apr 13, 2024 7:28 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

jeffreythefrog wrote:

I would try apple's own iMovie first. basically because it's free. if it is not already installed on your Mac, you can get it from the App Store. it will allow you to do those tasks and more. and it's not too much of a learning curve to get used to it.

I know iMovie, but it seems iMovie does not support multicam editing, which is a feature available in many advanced editing programs that allows users to synchronize and switch between multiple camera angles in real-time. I need a video editing tool comes with some advacned functions, such as detailed color grading, advanced audio editing capabilities, and more extensive effects libraries.

Apr 14, 2024 11:08 PM in response to Ramold

Adobe Premiere Pro supports Sonoma and it is a quite a popular video editing software for Mac.

As part of Adobe's Creative Cloud suite, Premiere Pro offers seamless integration with other Adobe applications like After Effects and Photoshop, making it a versatile choice for complex video projects. It supports a wide range of video formats, enabling editors to work with footage from virtually any source.

Premiere Pro is renowned for its robust editing capabilities, including precise color grading, intricate audio editing, and a vast array of transitions and effects that can enhance any video project. The software caters to professionals in the film and television industry, offering everything from simple cuts to complex narrative sequences. With its intuitive interface and powerful toolset, Adobe Premiere Pro is an indispensable resource for video editors aiming to produce high-quality content on a Mac. Whether crafting a cinematic masterpiece or a compelling YouTube video, Premiere Pro provides the scalability and performance needed to bring creative visions to life.

Apr 15, 2024 12:10 AM in response to Ramold

If you are looking for the best video editing software for Mac, how about the Shotcut? which is an open-source video editing software that's available for Mac, Windows, and Linux. It offers a wide range of features, including support for a variety of video formats, advanced editing tools, and customizable filters and effects. While it may not be as polished as some paid options, it's a solid choice for those looking for a versatile editing tool.

Apr 16, 2024 6:59 PM in response to Ramold

Hey! I’d be happy to help you find a best video editing software for your Mac. Here are a few options that strike a nice balance between ease of use and powerful features:

Adobe Premiere Pro: Another solid choice, especially if you might collaborate with others who use different systems since it's available on both Mac and Windows. It’s a bit more complex than Final Cut Pro, but once you get the hang of it, it’s incredibly powerful. It’s great for everything from simple cuts to complex projects and integrates well with other Adobe apps if you’re into that ecosystem.

DaVinci Resolve: This is a fantastic option if you're really into color grading. It started as a color grading tool but has evolved into a full-fledged editor. The free version itself is extremely powerful, and it's fairly user-friendly after a slight learning curve.

Each of these has its perks depending on what you’re looking for—Final Cut Pro and iMovie are great for Mac integration, Adobe Premiere Pro is excellent for cross-platform work, and DaVinci Resolve is a winner for color correction and grading. Maybe start with some free trials to see what feels right to you. Have fun experimenting with your video projects!

I need advice on the best video editing software for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.