Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Windows can't open a JPEG when sent from an iMac

This has happened before. I email (Apple mail) to someone that has a PC sending an attachment (JPEG)

It is photo. on the PC side they see the small icon, but no picture and when they click on it they get "image cannot be found or opened etc." Downloading for them doesn't/t work either.

My attachment setting is set to "always use windows friendly settings"

What can I do so that a windows user can open the jpeg I send them?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 11:18 AM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2024 12:31 PM in response to kay290

I’d first suggest upgrading the Mac in the footer from macOS 10.12 to at least macOS 10.13, or to later macOS if that is supported with the particular iMac. This might address the issue here if it’s the Mac at fault, as there have been many fixes to mail over the years since 10.12. It’s unlikely macOS is involved here though, with the settings you have reported.

As for Windows questions, I’d suggest asking for assistance in a Microsoft forum. They’ll likely want to identify which mail client they’re using on Windows, whether that mail client is current or needs an update, whether Windows needs an update, whether Windows Explorer shows the file as being present and what Explorer reports about the file, and some similar basic troubleshooting steps.

Based on some very quick searches, there are many potential possibilities.

Here’s an example from Windows 11, from a Microsoft forum: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-and-images-not-opening-on-windows-11/6d57a03d-653f-46ce-9c48-9b44735c0da9

Here are some possibilities from Windows 10: https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-10-cant-open-jpg-files/

But… This just isn’t the best spot for getting help with Microsoft Windows, which is central to his question.

Somewhat more generally, if Windows is a support issue for the person using it, and if you’re their IT support channel, maybe migration from Windows to an iPad might be worth a discussion or two?

Apr 29, 2024 2:14 PM in response to kay290

Are the recipients using ordinary personal email to receive your messages, or are they being sent to a corporate email address or are the recipients using a business or school computer to access the messages? It is possible the receiver has some aggressive filtering enabled which prevents attachments from being viewed as a security feature.

Does every Windows recipient have the issue or just some of them? If only some of them have the issue, then those users probably need to figure out why they are unable to receive the attachments.

Windows can't open a JPEG when sent from an iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.