Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Purchased downloaded music not uploading to Apple Music on Mac, but appears in other devices

I have Apple Music. I recently moved and switched all my devices/stores to a new country and restarted my subscription. Some songs, about 50, which are among a bunch of songs that I have purchased and downloaded (both on iPhone and Mac). In some cases, it’s an entire album or part of an album that are not showing up

While I suspect this is some sort of licensing issue, I can not figure out why the songs are appearing in my library on other devices where I have nothing downloaded (like PC and spouses Android phone) and downloaded (my iPhone). The downloaded sones are there on Mac and if I try to click and drag the downloaded song to my library nothing happens. It’s possible these are “matched” songs in Apple Music and I replaced the file with lossless in my previous country (but I still don’t understand why some albums have half showing up then). I do not see these songs as mp4 etc.

why would these show up in my library in other devices (both ones I downloaded onto and ones I did not download onto)?

any recommendations in getting these back on my library on Mac?

fwiw I already signed out and deauthorized and authorized all devices already.

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 4:42 PM

9 replies

Apr 30, 2024 2:06 AM in response to chetel87

iCloud Music Library, which underpins Apple Music and iTunes Match, won't accept content from a different account. I suspect changing stores, albeit with the same Apple ID, effectively creates a different account. You would need to generate new copies of your old purchases that no longer contain a reference to your account in the store, so that these can be absorbed into your cloud library in the same way as say CD rips.

See Convert a song to a different file format with the Apple Music app or iTunes for Windows - Apple Support.

tt2

Apr 29, 2024 8:38 PM in response to chetel87

You might want to try RE-downloading the songs to Mac: Apple support have an article online that may help:

Redownload music - Apple Support

Troubleshooting if needed:

"Learn what to do if you can't redownload an item or if you don't see the item in your purchases.

See: If there's an issue when you redownload apps, movies, or other content from Apple - Apple Support

May 5, 2024 5:23 AM in response to chetel87

The unable to add folder is the destination for items that are not considered compatible with Music. For third party content I would suggest fetching new copies, re-ripping, etc. For purchases deleting and redownloading would normally work, but that may be complicated if you have changed regions and currently have any store credit or an Apple Music/iTunes Match subscription. Perhaps you can retrieve working copies from one of the devices where those tracks play? See Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community for suggestions. I'd probably try iFunBox to start with.

tt2

May 5, 2024 8:38 PM in response to chetel87

chetel87 Said:

[…]show up in iTunes Store as being purchased, some do not, and even more oddly some show I purchased but can not play in Apple Music.[…]

———-

New Location:

As for Allen iTunes Store purchases, if you’ve relocated to a different country, you’d have to purchase these again. If these are Home Music files, then use Apple Music, and they’ll sync across all your devices.

Apr 29, 2024 9:07 PM in response to chetel87

chetel87 Said:

"Purchased downloaded music not uploading to Apple Music on Mac, but appears in other devices

I have Apple Music. I recently moved and switched all my devices/stores to a new country and restarted my subscription.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Loss of Music:

Relocation is the Culprit Here:

iTunes purchased items are only usable in the country/region in which they were purchased. So, having relocated, you must purchase these again :(

May 1, 2024 11:31 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. Oddly, this only seemed to be the case with some songs/albums. Most purchased songs still show up in iTunes Store as being purchased, some do not, and even more oddly some show I purchased but can not play in Apple Music.

I figure it must be some convoluted licensing with some songs but not others.

it is also odd this is not a problem on my phone (where I do have local copies) and other devices where there is not local copies. Just strange…

May 1, 2024 3:43 PM in response to chetel87

If something shows in the iTunes Store as purchased (instead of a play button or the price) that suggests an item hidden from your purchase history. When you are signed into your Apple ID you should see locally stored content on that device, along with your unhidden purchase history, and anything that is in your iCloud Music Library if you have a subscription to Apple Music or iTunes Match. Changing stores won't have changed what was already on your computer or device, but may impact what can be seen of your purchase history, and what is held in iCloud Music Library. In you library use the Songs view and enable the Cloud Status column. This should let you see which tracks are waiting, ineligible, removed, error, etc. For ineligible tracks making fresh copies is generally the way to go.

tt2

Purchased downloaded music not uploading to Apple Music on Mac, but appears in other devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.