Family consuming excess Family Storage despite having free space on their devices?

I have activated Family Plan of 200GB storage. But my family is consuming Family storage even though they have still storage in their own devices. For example one member consuming 135GB from that storage ( who has 10 GB free storage in his device) and another member consuming 35 GB ( who has 50 GB free storage in his device). Really it is not meaningful. Becos if they are full, they can use this Family storage. But why it is been allowed as they still have their device storage and finally iam not able to use that memory and my mobile is hanging often. How to solve this?? Is there any way to restrict them using the storage upto certain limit.??? I use this family sharing mainly to allow them using Apple Music...

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iPhone SE

Posted on May 1, 2024 12:18 AM

7 replies

May 2, 2024 8:38 AM in response to pandi115

iCloud storage is used even when there is free storage on a device. For example if iCloud Backup is turned on in a device it will backup to iCloud no matter how much free storage there is on the device. If iCloud Photos is turned on in a device, it will make a copy of all of the photos and videos on that device in iCloud no matter how much free storage there is on the device. One of the purposes of doing that is to insure that there is a copy available on iCloud in case the device is broken, lost, stolen, etc.

There is no option to restrict how much storage a family member uses on a shared iCloud storage plan. Each family member can use any or all of the available storage.

However, you can opt to not share the iCloud storage plan (even though you are sharing Apple Music). See information in Share iCloud+ with your family - Apple Support

May 11, 2024 12:28 AM in response to KiltedTim

My question is that iam paying for family subscription and iam sharing the Family storage to them and their contents of about 120 GB are not being stored in their own device memory, but it is being stored in Family storage at the Maximum level and they have 20 GB free in their device. But for me, contents are being stored in my device memory and it is full now and only using very minimum Family Storage only even though Why this difference???

May 11, 2024 8:09 AM in response to pandi115

There are numerous possible explanations.

If iCloud Photo Library is enabled, they have the option not to store the full size images on the device itself. That reduces the amount of local storage required and stores the full resolution (larger) image files in iCloud.

If they store documents or data in iCloud, Those documents may not be downloaded to the device itself until needed.

Backups also consume space in iCloud.

Family consuming excess Family Storage despite having free space on their devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.