Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

backup method for Mac with lost password

I work on a Mac mini 2018, at a Mac hostile state agency. The admin password has been lost, and I’d like to automate backup from a folder to an external SSD. Currently I copy last modified files, but that’s increasingly difficult. I can’t install something like SuperDuper because no administrator password.

Is there an AppleScript that will make a complete backup, then only copy new files or replace updated files? Or something to run in Automator app?

Mac mini (2018)

Posted on May 1, 2024 6:36 AM

5 replies

May 1, 2024 8:17 AM in response to marc cardwell

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password

All Bets are Off if this computer is Enrolled in the Company Mobile Digital Management Service ( MDM )

If not - use Time Machine Backup Utility but into and part of the Operating System

Intel Computer

Shutdown the computer 

Restart computer and immediately hold the two keyboard combo Command  r 

If using a Bluetooth Keyboard with Rechargeable Battery - Cable the Keyboard to computer for this unique purpose. Bluetooth Kernel may not load soon enough to execute the 2 keyboard commands 

Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

Press Return key

Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

May 2, 2024 1:14 AM in response to marc cardwell

marc cardwell wrote:

No MDM, so I followed your directions. It asked for the Admin password, which I did not have. There are 3 accounts on this Mac, 2 general users and 1 Admin, I changed all the passwords, rebooted and I am golden!

Question: you had me go into recovery mode, but what did you mean by this: "If not - use Time Machine Backup Utility but into and part of the Operating System"? I use TM on my home Mac, thus know what it does, but not in this instance.

Thank you so much! I'm gonna install SuperDuper this afternoon.

Good, so it worked as it should have the reset password

Sorry for the confusions I created

It should have read " use Time Machine Backup Utility as it is Built into and part of the Operating System.

That was to deal with " I can’t install something like SuperDuper because no administrator password " aspect that was brought up

Yes CCC is a good Third Party software as a adjunct to TM Backup and part of a 3-2-1 Rescue Plan

To truly protect your non replaceable Data - have a 3-2-1 Rescue Plan in place and always current

3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 off site incase of natural disaster or un-natural disaster.

Each of the above should be done to a Dedicated Single Purposed External Drive 

May 1, 2024 11:09 AM in response to PRP_53

No MDM, so I followed your directions. It asked for the Admin password, which I did not have. There are 3 accounts on this Mac, 2 general users and 1 Admin, I changed all the passwords, rebooted and I am golden!

Question: you had me go into recovery mode, but what did you mean by this: "If not - use Time Machine Backup Utility but into and part of the Operating System"? I use TM on my home Mac, thus know what it does, but not in this instance.

Thank you so much! I'm gonna install SuperDuper this afternoon.

backup method for Mac with lost password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.