Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple News+ introduces Quartiles, a new original spelling game, and Offline Mode for subscribers. Learn more >

iCloud Email Address disappearing from Mail app settings?

Hi there,

I am using two email addresses (gmail and iCloud) and I noticed that sometimes, seemingly randomly, in the Mail app Settings > Accounts the "Email Address" field for my iCloud account "forgets" the email address and becomes blank?

This makes it impossible to send emails from that account, since it's missing in the "From" field when composing a message and so I have to keep going to settings, adding the email address for it to work for a while...until it disappears again.

Is there something I can do to prevent this?:)

Thank you very much!

iMac 24″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 2, 2024 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2024 4:34 AM

MartinCash wrote:

danshowbiz wrote:

If I understand the OP's issue correctly, I have the same one.

No issues with my icloud addresses on the iPhone or Macbook, and I can receive email sent to my 2 icloud/mac addresses. But they randomly disappear from the "From" list. I have multiple other addresses, and only the 2 Apple ones disappear.

And they disappear, but I don't have any error message, and testing the accounts shows everything is ok.

There doesn't seem to be any reason or logic behind this behaviour. I saved an outgoing email in my drafts 5 minutes ago to send it from the iPhone (as I couldn't use the right address on the iMac)... and I just checked and now icloud email address choices are back. It happens multiple times a day (no visible pattern) and has been going on for about 2 weeks (maybe a bit more)... possible it's been since the latest Sonoma update, the timing fits, but I can't be sure.

I tried removing the account, of course also tried turning off the iMac... no change.
Yeah, that seems to be exactly the same thing and in my case, it is also exclusive to the iMac. I tried PRP_53's solution, disabling the problematic address and re-enabling it in the iCloud>Mail settings. So far so good!

I've had a number of weird things happening with iCloud in the past and quite often, no matter what I did on my end, they seemingly resolved on their own. This might be one of them:)

Just to add

Yes, there are times iCloud email services do just work themselves out or seem to work themselves out on their own.

Somewhere around Sonoma 14.0 , the Apple Mail client, for not apparent reason would take itself Off Line

Though the exact same email account on the iPhone ws not affected. Further to that, the Status of email for iCloud also showed all was normal

Work with Apple Support on telephone for 1 to 1 /2 hours . It was bumped up to Apple Engineering.

That is where thing sat

Given a little more time as in days, the issues ceased to occur there after.

Bye the way - pleased your computer issue seems, for the moment, is fixed

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2024 4:34 AM in response to MartinCash

MartinCash wrote:

danshowbiz wrote:

No issues with my icloud addresses on the iPhone or Macbook, and I can receive email sent to my 2 icloud/mac addresses. But they randomly disappear from the "From" list. I have multiple other addresses, and only the 2 Apple ones disappear.

And they disappear, but I don't have any error message, and testing the accounts shows everything is ok.

There doesn't seem to be any reason or logic behind this behaviour. I saved an outgoing email in my drafts 5 minutes ago to send it from the iPhone (as I couldn't use the right address on the iMac)... and I just checked and now icloud email address choices are back. It happens multiple times a day (no visible pattern) and has been going on for about 2 weeks (maybe a bit more)... possible it's been since the latest Sonoma update, the timing fits, but I can't be sure.

I tried removing the account, of course also tried turning off the iMac... no change.
Yeah, that seems to be exactly the same thing and in my case, it is also exclusive to the iMac. I tried PRP_53's solution, disabling the problematic address and re-enabling it in the iCloud>Mail settings. So far so good!

I've had a number of weird things happening with iCloud in the past and quite often, no matter what I did on my end, they seemingly resolved on their own. This might be one of them:)

Just to add

Yes, there are times iCloud email services do just work themselves out or seem to work themselves out on their own.

Somewhere around Sonoma 14.0 , the Apple Mail client, for not apparent reason would take itself Off Line

Though the exact same email account on the iPhone ws not affected. Further to that, the Status of email for iCloud also showed all was normal

Work with Apple Support on telephone for 1 to 1 /2 hours . It was bumped up to Apple Engineering.

That is where thing sat

Given a little more time as in days, the issues ceased to occur there after.

Bye the way - pleased your computer issue seems, for the moment, is fixed

May 5, 2024 3:14 AM in response to danshowbiz

danshowbiz wrote:

May 2, 2024 4:28 AM in response to MartinCash

MartinCash wrote:

Hi there,

I am using two email addresses (gmail and iCloud) and I noticed that sometimes, seemingly randomly, in the Mail app Settings > Accounts the "Email Address" field for my iCloud account "forgets" the email address and becomes blank?

This makes it impossible to send emails from that account, since it's missing in the "From" field when composing a message and so I have to keep going to settings, adding the email address for it to work for a while...until it disappears again.

Is there something I can do to prevent this?:)

Thank you very much!

iCloud uses an IMAP Protocol .

So removing the iCloud Account and adding it back will not delete the email .

May 2, 2024 4:43 AM in response to MartinCash

MartinCash wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but I don't want to remove my iCloud account. I want to prevent the Mail app to stop forgetting email address for my iCloud account.

A reasonable solution has been supplied.

Do with it what one wants to do.

Personally, with 3 different Apple Computers all running Sonoma 14.4.1 and using Apple email client

I have a xx@mac.com, xx@me.com and xx@icloud.com domains

If I were to remove the iCloud Account and back again, all the email on apple iCloud email servers do reappear post remove and adding back the account

There are times, the above suggestion will just " Make it work "

May 4, 2024 10:00 AM in response to MartinCash

iCloud Email Address disappearing from Mail app settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.