Xcode 15.2 requiring iOS 17.2 but won't install it on an Intel based iMac

I have an existing app developed on an Intel based iMac. When Xcode updated itself to the last compatible version according to the App Store (15.2?), I can no longer render the storyboard or build the app. It says it need iOS 17.2 with a GET button. Selecting the GET button does nothing because the installer won't install iOS 17.2 to an Intel based iMac. I uninstalled 15.2 and went to the developer site and downloaded 15.1 to no avail. I received the same behavior. I dropped my target deployment back to iOS 16.0 but it still had no impact. I need to get back to a stable environment. I know others must have encountered this. Has anyone found a solution (possibly downloading an even earlier version of Xcode???)?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 3, 2024 8:35 AM

7 replies

May 4, 2024 6:24 AM in response to AshbecLLC

Please note that as of April 2024 all iOS (and iPadOS) apps submitted to the App Store must be built with a minimum of Xcode 15 and the iOS 17 SDK.

Xcode 14.3.1 might still be useful for you personally, but not for submitting to the App Store. Has downloadable support for iOS up to 16.4.

Xcode 15.0 requires a Mac running macOS Ventura 13.5 or later. Has downloadable support for iOS up to 17.0.

Xcode 15.2 requires a Mac running macOS Ventura 13.5 or later. Has downloadable support for iOS up to 17.2.

Xcode 15.3 requires a Mac running macOS Sonoma 14.0 or later. Has downloadable support for iOS up to 17.4.

Xcode has separate additional SDK component downloads per platform. Compiling for iPhone requires the latest iOS components (for that Xcode version). Maybe the iOS notification was about that? See Settings﹥Platforms﹥… Or did you already try that initially?

May 6, 2024 1:06 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I did try that. From Xcode 15.2, trying to download and install iOS 17.2 support using Settings/Platforms fails to install on my Intel based iMac. As soon as I attempt it, Xcode will no longer render the storyboard or build the app. Would I be correct to interpret your first sentence as requiring that the minimum target environment for an iPhone app is iOS 17 as of April 2024? Since Xcode 15.2 won't support that (contrary to the documentation) and newer version(s) of Xcode won't run on Intel based Mac's either, that would imply that my choices are to buy a new iMac or abandon support of my patient safety app in the App Store. Am I interpreting that correctly or am I missing something? Until I hear back, I will try to complete the app upgrade targeting a minimum of 16.0 and try to upload the new app release to the App Store and see what happens. Thanks for your feedback.

May 7, 2024 10:32 AM in response to AshbecLLC

As soon as I attempt it, Xcode will no longer render the storyboard or build the app.

I can’t explain that. If the download was successful, then the new platform support should be added. Did you try an Xcode app restart? Or even a Mac restart?

Would I be correct to interpret your first sentence as requiring that the minimum target environment for an iPhone app is iOS 17 as of April 2024?

Submitted apps should be compiled to run on all modern Apple devices of that group with the latest system software. Apps for iOS 16.x or lower, but not iOS 17.x, wouldn’t be accepted. 17.x should be a target environment as well. 17.0 or 7.2 or 17.4 doesn’t seem to matter for submissions at this time, although it would be advisable to confirm support for the latest OS version to your users.

Since Xcode 15.2 won't support that (contrary to the documentation) …

The inclusion of 17.4 doesn’t seem to matter for submissions at this time, if at least 17.0 is included.

… and newer version(s) of Xcode won't run on Intel based Mac's either,

My 2019 MBP 2.8 GHz Intel i7-8569U on Sonoma 14.4.1 runs Xcode 15.3 just fine. The incompatibility is not about Intel (yet) (but probably about macOS Sonoma).

… that would imply that my choices are to buy a new iMac or abandon support of my patient safety app in the App Store.

Any developer that wishes access to the App Store will need to upgrade their hardware at some point, per system requirements for the latest version Xcode. If your Mac can’t run Sonoma, then its end-of-life for development is in sight. Not yet, but not too far off either.

Am I interpreting that correctly or am I missing something?

Please specify your model Mac.

Identify the model of your Apple device - Apple Support

May 3, 2024 5:04 PM in response to AshbecLLC

Update: I tried dropping back to Xcode 14.3.1. It told me the project couldn't be opened because it was in a future file format. It recommended using a future version of Xcode to save the project in a format compatible with 14.3.1 so I reinstalled 15.2 expecting to look for a way to create a past file format. To my surprise, when I opened my project in 15.2, it worked. After some time, the main storyboard rendered and it no longer requested iOS 17.2. I don't know why this worked but hopefully the knowledge will help someone else that is stuck. I just hope Xcode keeps working long enough for me to write the software upgrade for my app.

May 7, 2024 1:06 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I purchased a refurbished Retina 4K, 21.5 in., 2017 from Apple (3.4 GHz Quad Core Intel I5) without considering how quickly it would "sunset" (my bad). At this point, Xcode 15.2 is still working and I am continuing to work on the app upgrade. Settings/Platforms now show an iOS 17.2 on disk (not the simulator) so I may be OK. I am not going to plugin my iPhone (17.4) in developer mode or download an iOS 17+ simulator until I complete the upgrade and try to upload it to the App Store. (I suspect plugging in my iPhone may be what caused the collapse of the first copy of 15.2). Given that I appear to have some type of iOS 17.2 support on the current copy of Xcode 15.2, I am optimistic that the app will be accepted. After that I will "save my pennies, nickels and dimes" for a new iMac.

Re your other comment, a 2017 iMac can't go past Ventura 13.6.6 whereas your 2019 can. My days are numbered.

Thanks again for your help.

May 13, 2024 3:54 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Final update: It did in fact work out. Xcode 15.2 built a new version of the app that was successfully uploaded and accepted into the App Store. I subsequently was also able to simulate an iOS 17.2 iPhone with that app (using Xcode 15.2). I also downloaded the app to my iOS 17.4 iPhone from the App Store and it appears to work properly.

Summary: Attempting to use a device or simulator above 17.2 appears to cause Xcode 15.2 to get caught in a "Catch-22" asking you to download a higher version of iOS 17 than it is willing to install. You can't build the app or even render a storyboard until the problem is resolved. This may not be the only solution but in my case I did the following:

1) Delete Xcode 15.2 from the applications folder,

2) Go to the developer support site and download Xcode 14.3.

3) Attempt to read the app you have been working on in 15.2 using 14.3. (This will fail because the file format has already been upgraded but it appears to reset something in the project file.)

4) Rename 14.3 then re-install 15.2. (I haven't done it yet but I am assuming you can delete the renamed version of 14.3 at this point.)

5) Xcode 15.2 should now read the project without requesting an upgrade. You should be able to complete your build as long as you don't ask it to download a version of iOS 17 that it can't support.

Best of luck to one and all.

Xcode 15.2 requiring iOS 17.2 but won't install it on an Intel based iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.