Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to disable autofill in excel on iMac

Was hoping to find a simple way to prevent autofill when dragging cells down -- such as hold control key or function key whilst dragging down?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 6, 2024 5:50 AM

4 replies

May 6, 2024 6:07 AM in response to SGIII

Thanks for replying

I want to be able to drag cell values down a column with the minimum of fuss. So numerical values or dates would not increment as I drag the cells down. Holding down with a key such as "control" while dragging down would involve fewer key presses than copy and paste (for example). I suppose I am a wee bit lazy!

May 6, 2024 6:37 AM in response to brawlinks

Assuming you meant "Numbers" not "Excel", use the menu item Numbers->Provide Numbers Feedback to let Apple know. You are not the only one who would like this feature. It is inconsistent the way it is now. Dragging down the number 1 does not auto-increment but dragging down 1 formatted as text (or any text ending in a numeric character) does auto-increment. Personally, when dragging down from one cell I would prefer it not auto-increment unless I held down a key (option, shift, or command).

If you are asking about "Excel", you can override it with Option.

How to disable autofill in excel on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.