Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iCloud for Windows high CPU usage when PC is idle

After installing the new iCloud for Windows client on my Windows 10 VM, I've noticed that the iCloudhome.exe application used 60-80% of a CPU core constantly when the PC is idle. If you use the PC again, the usage immediately stops.

Look at this graph showing cores on my CPU. Core 08 (green line) is sitting consistently between 60% and 80% usage when the PC is idle from a 2:00am reboot until I come back to the PC at 10:14am, the usage drops back to normal.

What's running in this application that causes this? I have to kill the app manually after every reboot to stop this. I need the app for password/keychain sync!

Posted on May 7, 2024 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2024 11:24 AM

I ended up disabling it from start up. it was taking my CPU from 10W idle power to 45-50W once the screen turned off. if I let my computer idle 24/7/365, that’s nearly $50 just to have icloud…doing what exactly?

(W11 23H2 KB5037771, i7 13700K)

7 replies

Jun 9, 2024 3:11 PM in response to Andreas9999

Same here. I am running Windows 11 and I finally found when my PC is locked and idle, fan start running. In task manager, process history shows iCloud was running all the time when the PC was idle. If I killed all iCloud processes before locking my PC, fan is quiet. Easy to reproduce.

I also found that iCloudChrome.exe does not start when using bookmarks synchronisation, until I click on the iCloud extension icon in Edge. I can see the process iCloudChrome.exe start in Task Manager when clicking on the extension icon in Edge. Unless that, no sync until I click on the extension.

Please Apple, fix your app ASAP 🙃

Jun 9, 2024 4:45 PM in response to jean-francois.menard

So far, I will not use iCloud Photo and iCoud Drive, unless Apple fix their app. So, I unchecked all iCloud app related in Windows Start Menu.... nothing will be loaded at boot time.

But, I am still use the iCloud Boomark Sync for Edge. If I click on extension iCloud bookmark in Edge, it starts synching, but if I look in the task manager, only iCloudChrome.exe is loaded... nothing else. And if I lock my PC and let it locked for a while, iCloudChrome.exe does not take CPU... and PC fan are quiet. Hourray!

So this is really related to Drive or Photo!?!?!

iCloud for Windows high CPU usage when PC is idle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.